Hows this for a score!

unrise_lyrical

So, I'm in an electronic group at uni (I study music) and we had a recent performance that had a nasty issue. We were running midi sync via MAX/MSP over a network we set up, but the router kept dropping the signal (turned out to be faulty). In my frustration afterwards I did some searching on ebay and came across a MOTU Midi TimePiece II (not the USB one)...I watched it and slapped a bid on it at the last second.

It arrived today in perfect working order  :)

l_aaad96895213360f07f78d5f82a98157.jpg

So, how much did it cost?

$100? no

$50? no

$20? no....

$14.50 :) australian...thats probably about 6 pounds to those from england

Absolute bargain :D

Congrats, man! :-) I missed out on an uber-bargain last week because my internet was down. There was an Alesis Nanosynth listed in the wrong category that noone bid on - starting bid was 1€. It got relisted and sold for 120€. Grrr.

MOTU Midi TimePiece II (not the USB one)...

There was never a USB MTPII, only later MTPXT and MTPAV (and maybe DTP?), where the alternative is parallel. You've probably already noticed it's serial so limited in bandwidth (you can't push 16 midi streams through 115kbps) and you need a mac serial to PC serial cable for it, and are there XP drivers? Regardless, it's very useful not only as a midi interface, but as a standalone router (and SMPTE genny if you use that) .. You just have to watch out, because you'll quickly find yourself enjoying working without the PC, and develop an expensive hardware desire ;)

Yea :) I did a bit of reading and realised it will be a bit difficult to connect via computer, but that wasn't my original intention so if I cant do that it doesnt matter too much...

I was basically planning the following singal path (probably not the best re. latency, but its better than a network that drops out intermitently):

My Computer>USB CONNECTION>Novation 25SL>MIDI CABLE>TimePiece>MIDI CABLE>Novation 25SL (everyone else...4 other ppl from memory, all identical setups)>USB CONNECTION> Their computers...

I take it I can send a signal (Midi clocksource) in one input, and send that signal out as many outputs as I want? Its proving to be a pain in the ass finding a manual for it (never thought it would be easy :))

and hehe yea, when i said not the usb one i meant not the AV :)

I take it I can send a signal (Midi clocksource) in one input, and send that signal out as many outputs as I want?

Bingo. Watch out for feedback loops though, you'll crash the interface if you loop something realtime like clocks.

and hehe yea, when i said not the usb one i meant not the AV :)

Well there's a not-USB AV too!