robodrummer

Goblinz

I found the most interesting drum controller at Glastonbury festival. It consists of 4 pneumatically controlled arms and 2 legs. Each arm has 5 degrees of movement to allow each to play 4 differnt drums/cymbals. It's midi controlled, one track per arm and then one track to control the movement between drums. The website is http://www.robocross.com/, look in the profiles section (flash site so can't provide a direct link) I'll post some videos and pictures tonight. Apparently they are working on the rest of the band. The workshop is based somewhere in Berlin (Pankow, I think) so I may attempt to visit them while I am over there in a couple of weeks.

G

Stills look good, videos don't: "We're sorry, this video is no longer available."

Sorry, I've had no experience with youtube. I wasn't even sure if it would work with *.MOV files.  Thanks Seppoman for posting the propper link.

I'll crunch the rest of the videos down a bit and upload them hopefully tonight... (I ran out of time last night).

G

nILS: you'd kick him out of your bed? Surprised he'd be there in the first place ;D

"We're sorry, this video is no longer available."

It seems to do that after a timeout. Just reload the page.

Sorry, I've had no experience with youtube.

Once you've got em up, when you're watching them, copy the address from the browser's addy bar, paste it in here, highlight it, and click the Youtube 'button' above the smileys :)

[media] your link here [/media]

I'd kick him out of my baNd ;-)

edit: fixed my semi-freudian

Be careful, what you don't see is the shoulder mounted lazer cannon! He may have a drummer strop!

I didn't get much chance to talk to the guy but from as far as I can gather he just had a standard midi tracker and then used some sort of microcontroller to convert the midi messages into movement. The track for moving the arms between drums was manauly added to each tune... It sounded fine (from my addled festival prospective) but I can imagine there would have been a bit of lag... easily overcome with some sort or MIDI delay on the melody tracks.

Not a replacement for a drummer or standard drume machine, but it sure as hell makes up for it in style and looks. It did seem to be drumming kind of in time and dribbles a lot less than a real drummer  ;D

G

I have both of the Chris Cunningham DVDs and accompanying books... He's one sick puppy!

I used to have his DVD too but i gave it to somebody and never seen again  :'(

Anybody fancy taking on a midibox challange and making something similar that has a little better timing?

I`ve been dreaming about it (from the moment I`ve seen Monkey drummer for a first time) but I think I`ll stick to my HDD drummer... way much cheaper.  :P

I used to have his DVD too but i gave it to somebody and never seen again  :'(

Hmnn.. which one are you talking about... The one with Monkey drummer, the madonna and Aphex videos; or the "rubber johnny" one? Rubber Johnny is just wrong.

Anybody fancy taking on a midibox challange and making something similar that has a little better timing?

I`ve been dreaming about it (from the moment I`ve seen Monkey drummer for a first time) but I think I`ll stick to my HDD drummer... way much cheaper.  :P

Hmnn.. which one are you talking about... The one with Monkey drummer, the madonna and Aphex videos; or the "rubber johnny" one? Rubber Johnny is just wrong.

The one with monkey drummer. I have one named Rubber Johnny video I found somewhere on the net... a short one. Didn`t know there is more.

But, the HDD drummer doesn't have a mohawk!

It does now.  ;D

The one with monkey drummer. I have one named Rubber Johnny video I found somewhere on the net... a short one. Didn`t know there is more.

They both came with a book. The Rubber Johnny book featured pictures of Chris where he had used photoshop to stick various bits of his body together in very disturbing ways. Apparently he spent weeks working on just afew seconds of footage for the video.