I have a challenge think along. (not mb related)

Twin-X

Some of you know i am building an arcade cabinet.

Now i am struggiling with a concept i desperatly need to get working :D (it's not that my live depends on it though)

I would appreciate this more than a donation so let your brains work :D and i know you guys have some great idea's.

Oh and someone that is thinking along works in a machine shop so making thins should not be an issue but we preffer it not hehehe. It must be DIY'able.

Ok so we have the Ultimarc 360 Joysticks.

http://www.ultimarc.com/ultrastik_info.html

And we have transparent balltop's.

We need to cram 5mm rgb leds (3mm are unfindable) in the stick.

This is not the challenge.

The challenge is to get the wires connected not to twist while the stick rotates.

Bottom of the joystick shaft is a magnet attached that hovers above a pcb with a move sensor.

Because there is no fixation the shaft can rotate freely over it's axis.

Now as you can see in the second link someone has made a solution with a dc plug (very clever) but this provides us only 2 wires.

Now how can we solve this so that the wires wont get twisted whilst playing?

I allready found a 4 connector 2,5mm plug but i know there must be other ways.

I can make pictures if preffered of the joystick.

*Second link i forgot.... http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=82292.0

Cant you build some kind of sender/receiver like this one:?

http://www.winpicprog.co.uk/pic_tutorial_wireless_board.htm

For the needed powersupply of your receivermodule you could either use batteries or that dc connector trick you've spoken of.

Or put a "dout" into your stick and use the 4connector plug to supply Vd,S0,Sc,and rc. Vs could be connected over the "stick" itself. (or isnt this connected to the chassis anywhere?=)

Hope this inspires you a bit to get your problem solved.

peace

Thoughts:

This is just me brainstorming a bit - nothing tried or tested here, for your application.

Use SMT LED's - they can be more easily wired with fine "pen wiring" type wire.

You might need to think of making some tools to help with the job, (it seems a bit like making a "ship-in-a-bottle").

Strip down some old telephone handset cords for the ultra flexible 'tinsel' cable.

Use flexible fibre optics, don't put the LEDs in the ball at all, just the fibre ends. Use the Polymer type, not the glass type.

Think of having a non-moving connector on the stick, and a flexible 'bridge' wire to a connector on the control board. This can then easily be replaced as it flexes and wears out.

You need no more than 6 cores, unless you want to make patterns.

Hope this is a start

(edited for yptos)

Lightpipe was my first idea too mike, good call....

Where's the 2nd link twinny? If it works with a dc plug, maybe a stereo audio jack will do...

I've seen milspec rotating connectors but they were insanely expensive like $70...

Do you have pics of it, looking up the shaft from the bottom? With he joystick off-axis? Trying to got an idea of what i'm really playing with....

I assume the leds are going in the handle and not just in the shaft?

hi

since the space on the bottom can t be used, otherwise a 4 poles mini jack plus socket was perfect, the only thing i can imagine of is mounting on the base of the shaft a 4 brushes (or better carbon pieces as found in electric tools) system that can can rotate around the shaft base, now the cable connectd to this system should be enough "loose"  to let the shaft spin but short enough so that will keep the system in place avoiding that the cable can twist around the system itself, go it?

Simone

.. i know a guy who maybe could laser cut acrylic pieces to create the "system", have a look at drill machines spare parts for carbon+springs brush type, you also need to make four conductive rings on the base of the shaft.

...sounds complicated though

index.php?topic=82292.0

oh well then all you need is a 4 poles minijack, i think they come in 2.5mm dia, but you should be able to find them as 3.5mm as well

can t you actually use the metal parts of the joystick as GND and use a normal 3,5mm 3 poles minijack?

EDIT:

I allready found a 4 connector 2,5mm plug but i know there must be other ways.

eeeww sorry

anyway what s wrong with the 4 poles jack?

...let a couple of meters of thin 4 poles cable sticking out of the bottom of the shaft (need to drill a hole in the magnet).

It could make the shaft too long and then the magnet will get too far from the sensor on the edges

4 poles jacks are the same length as 3 poles ones

Yep. Sorry I said stereo cause I was thinking duo led not rgb, but you can get 4pole jacks the same (used for headsets usually)

The lightpipe thing would work too.... in fact i'd say you could just shove an LED up into the tube, leave it free-floating so the joystick rotates around it, and fix it to the base where the magnet is. You won't lose much light on thi inside of a shiny metal tube.

Edit BTW my 1st google hit: http://www.remtrak.com/psu/jack.htm They definitely exist, mini and 6.3, in 4 pole and 3.

...let a couple of meters of thin 4 poles cable sticking out of the bottom of the shaft (need to drill a hole in the magnet).

4 poles jacks are the same length as 3 poles ones

LOL i know that. With too ling i ment the jack is attached to the bottom of the joystick shaft so the shaft gets longer and not the magnet has more travel