op c64 psu only giving 5.16 volts

angel418

How about sticking it into a wall power socket and finding out?

With all due respect, I don't think htat angel has demonstrated the kind of skill level that would make this safe. Angel, please don't try to mess with mains level voltage yet. You may have greatly annoyed me, but I don't want to see you dead.

And yeh, 5.15v is hardly overvoltage. Your cheap multimeter can be blamed for these small inaccuracies.

I'd never test mains voltage with one of those hobbyist multimeters.

I would only trust an electricians multimeter,

which have much thicker probes and much higher voltage rating.

I remember my first time testing the 12v AC pins of my psu, and a smell of burn coming from the multimeter.

Mine has 2 Red sockets for the probes, and 1 Black (Com) socket.

I was using the wrong red socket for AC voltages of that size, and hence the smoke coming from the unused socket.

Imagine i had tested the mains voltage with it,

the multimeter would of set on fire non doubt at 20 times the voltage i was testing on the PSU.

Or at least melted it very badly.

I'd never test mains voltage with one of those hobbyist multimeters.

I would only trust an electricians multimeter,

which have much thicker probes and much higher voltage rating.

I remember my first time testing the 12v AC pins of my psu, and a smell of burn coming from the multimeter.

Mine has 2 Red sockets for the probes, and 1 Black (Com) socket.

I was using the wrong red socket for AC voltages of that size, and hence the smoke coming from the unused socket.

Imagine i had tested the mains voltage with it,

the multimeter would of set on fire non doubt at 20 times the voltage i was testing on the PSU.

Or at least melted it very badly.

I would hope that even a cheap multimeter would have some sort of fuse in it to stop it setting on fire in situations like this. Not that i'm having a go, but if your using a multimeter to test mains electric then I would think that learning how to use it properly would be a bare minimum.

With all due respect, I don't think htat angel has demonstrated the kind of skill level that would make this safe. Angel, please don't try to mess with mains level voltage yet. You may have greatly annoyed me, but I don't want to see you dead.

And yeh, 5.15v is hardly overvoltage. Your cheap multimeter can be blamed for these small inaccuracies.

I would have personally put a *whack in the quote. Mains voltage should be avoided unless you know what yolur doing and there are no other options

G

OOOoooohhhhhh.

I just had a look at the fuse close up based on your recommendation goblinz,

and it is indeed burnt out, the line is broke, and tested it for continunity just to be sure.

So maybe the smell of burn must have come from the fuse,

and the smoke  came out of the only probe socket which had not being blocked, hence my confusion!   ;)

Funny how the multimeter still works though. although i think it may have stopped reading AC voltages after that happened.

Hmm *ponders where he could find a 200ma fuse.*

Hmm *ponders where he could find a 200ma fuse.*

Got two older model power supplies, the first one has fuse rated 160mA (T), and there's 250mA (F) in the second one, I think the c64c models use 250mA fuse, instead of the 200mA. "T" stands for slow-type and "F" for fast type fuse. (There's also very slow & very fast etc types).

If I remember right, you're supposed to use slow-type originally in the PSU? They don't blow up as easily if there's some over-voltage in the power. Tho, faster one could be safer for the board.

Got two older model power supplies, the first one has fuse rated 160mA (T), and there's 250mA (F) in the second one, I think the c64c models use 250mA fuse, instead of the 200mA. "T" stands for slow-type and "F" for fast type fuse. (There's also very slow & very fast etc types).

If I remember right, you're supposed to use slow-type originally in the PSU? They don't blow up as easily if there's some over-voltage in the power. Tho, faster one could be safer for the board.

I think he was talking about the multimeter fuse, good info though enth.

Edit: What goblins said, i should of being more specific.

I noticed its gone in the older multimeter too which i just use for the continunity beeper,

my working multimeter doesnt have this function.