C64 Power Supply Connector

Travischen

Hello! I looked all over the forums for an answer to this question and couldn't find one. Appologies if this has already been discussed.  ;)

I'm looking into buying a commodore 64 power supply but just the power supply and not a C64 system. Thus, I would not have the PSU connector and the power switch panel for the optimized power supply solution. Is there anywhere I can buy a compatible connector? Should I just give in and buy a system? I suppose I could also just wire directly to the power supply without the connector but I would rather have it removable.

Thanks a lot and also let me add that these forums have been amazingly helpful in building my Midisid!!

You need to get yourself a "7-pin DIN Socket".

I cant seem to find ones that mount onto PCBs, the ones like the original c64 socket.

all im finding are the Chasis Mount ones.

You will have to solder wires from the connector to the PCB, if you cannot find a PCB mount socket.

This is what it looks like, make sure the holes are in the same position:

SD-70SN.jpg

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/264929-conn-din-7-pin-female-panel-mnt-sd-70sn.html

• 2 weeks later...

That looks perfect! Should be wiki'd on an Optimised PSU page if one exists.

I got this connector about a week ago and it is perfect! The pin layout is a little different from the commodore 64's (just look at the spec to figure out the numbers of each pin) but it is pretty much the exact same size and fits the commodore case perfectly. Highly recommend! I bought the other connector too and it fits the power supply properly. If you are making your own case this one might be better since you could bolt it on easily.