Simple button input

oddrose

Hi, I am wondering what I need to build a midi device that Only sends input from 10 buttons or so through a midi cable.

I just want to press one of the buttons to play a note. That's it.

Should I use the MidiBox kits or should I go for something even simpler?

Say that I would use the Core module and a Din module, is that enough to make this work?

Should I use the MidiBox kits or should I go for something even simpler?

MidiBox can be "complex" but it s always rather "easy"

Say that I would use the Core module and a Din module, is that enough to make this work?

yes,eventually the CORE alone can handle 8 DINs on J5

thanx for the quick reply. However, I'm not sure if 8 inputs are enough.

Either way, if I have a core module, does this mean that I can program some of the buttons to alter things like octave or the tones tied to the other buttons?

To explain my situation:

I have a dance mat currently sending data via a PS/2 Keyboard cable. I want to use the 10 (8 tones + 2 possible controls) "foot pads" to play midi.

So if I get a DIN and a Core I should be able to play as well as control some minor functions?

hi

the ps/2 dance mat is using the HID protocol, that is it is seen as a 9 buttons joystick or similarly..

You could use PureData and the HID object to reuse that input as MIDI.

If you are interested i happen to have a patch for PD doing just that.

Simone

You could also go the Arduino route.  Here are a couple of examples of switch or piezo inputs to an Aurdino with MIDI output:

http://todbot.com/blog/2006/10/29/spooky-arduino-projects-4-and-musical-arduino/

http://itp.nyu.edu/physcomp/Labs/MIDIOutput

Note that those don't have optically isolated outputs.

I'm sure there are more out there.

hi

the ps/2 dance mat is using the HID protocol, that is it is seen as a 9 buttons joystick or similarly..

Simone

I interpret that this means I would have to go through a computer to get my MIDI-signals? I would rather have my mat just sending the MIDI signals directly. I don't mind replacing the original circuits since I have a couple of mats to play with.

You could also go the Arduino route.

I am not familiar with Arduino. Do I program it directly with my computer? Serial port?

To be clear:

I want my pad to be able to send midi signals to tone generators/hardware synths without going through a computer.

Quote from: cimo on Today at 01:31

hi

Simone

I interpret that this means I would have to go through a computer to get my MIDI-signals? I would rather have my mat just sending the MIDI signals directly. I don't mind replacing the original circuits since I have a couple of mats to play with.

yep i thought computers were involved

no problem, I just wasn't clear enough. I'll probably end up using it through a MIDI soundcard most of the time, but at least then I have the option not to.

I'm not sure if I have understood this correctly but after I have built my core component, can I program it via MIDI?

I thought I read it somewhere but it sounds so cool I just assumed I had made it up. What I'm actually wondering is,

having build my components and connected them to the dance mat, how do I assign jobs for the buttons?

(I am going to buy the preburned pic btw, I guess that specifies what I am asking for a bit)

I am not familiar with Arduino. Do I program it directly with my computer? Serial port?

Yes, you program the Arduino through a serial port.  Once programmed, it can work without a computer (unless it's programmed to interact with a computer).  Can be programmed from Mac, Windows, or Linux.

The particular links I sent would set up an Arduino to directly output MIDI -- no computer need be involved.

Just a bit more detail here:

If your mat is outputting PS/2 signals, so if you want to use it without modification, you will need a PS/2 driver for your controller. There is no existing MIOS PS/2 driver, however if you're a good coder, there are PIC PS/2 drivers freely available which could be made to work with MIOS. I assume the same goes for AVR, if you go the arduino route.

It's not actually clear though - you've said PS/2 keyboard cable. Cimo said PS/2 dance mat uses HID protocol. I think Cimo has misused the acronym - PS2 (Sony PlayStation 2) and PS/2 (IBM Personal System/2) are not the same thing. The HID protocol Cimo refers to is most likely from a USB dance mat. So, the first thing to do, is give us a link to your dance mat so we have a clue wtf you're talking about ;)

Now, it is entirely possible that you may be able to mod the mat so that you can connect directly to the pads, and not use PS/2 or HID. This one requires not programming but circuitry experience.

If you lack both hardware and circuitry experience, or if you lack time or inclination, the easiest way to get what you want, is what cimo suggested - let a PC do it.

So what we need to know, to give you the right advice, is:

What is this mat, exactly?

Do you have programming experience (ASM, C)?

Do you have electronic circuitry experience; and are you willing to modify the mat electronically?

Do you need a standalone box; and does it need to be very small, or would a SFF PC be small enough?

Do you have lots of time, or money?

What is this mat, exactly?

Do you have programming experience (ASM, C)?

Do you have electronic circuitry experience; and are you willing to modify the mat electronically?

Do you need a standalone box; and does it need to be very small, or would a SFF PC be small enough?

Do you have lots of time, or money?

Thanx for a long and well thought-through answer.

-About the mat, I have no idea except that has a PS/2 cable and 10 different buttons. The buttons are connected

to a PCB with two of those strips, don't know what they are called. But like flat wires wrapped in plastic 2x5. Also

there is one large strip coming out of the mat for the 5.0V.

-My programming experience is good, mainly in C.

-I am fully confident that I have the circuitry experience to make this work with a Core and a DIN module.

-I am willing to slaughter one mat if necessary since I have access to 12.

-I do not need a standalone box.

-Time and money in the range of this project should not be a problem. Aside from shipping the stuff from Germany to Sweden I don't have

a problem with the cost so far.

And about PS/2 or HID or whatever, I am not intending to keep the circuitry.

Sounds like it might be a scanning matrix, but it's hard to say without seeing it... Given that you're tech savvy but not ASM-wise, I'd say you're on the right path forgetting the existing PS/2 cabling and ripping it up, but it will be much faster and cheaper to just use an old PC. But probably not nearly as cool ;)