Can not get sdcc_skeleton to compile

Guest elPaharo

Guest elPaharo

Guys

I downloaded the mios_base_v1_0b along with SDCC and GPUTILS. I then attempted to compile the sdcc_skeleton.c file; however, I constantly get an error that cmios.h and pic18fregs.h: No such file or directory. Also, __wparam errors are abundant.

I am using windows XP

After three days of trying everything I can think of I tried to compile on ubuntu_studio but get the exact same issues.

What in the name of ___ am I doing wrong.

I constantly get an error that cmios.h and pic18fregs.h: No such file or directory. Also, __wparam errors are abundant.

Would help a LOT if you pasted the errors. Please see the troubleshooting link in my signature for important hints.

It sounds like you have not set the necessary environment variables (MIOS_BIN_PATH, MIOS_PATH). There may be other things too.

Guest elPaharo

Would help a LOT if you pasted the errors. Please see the troubleshooting link in my signature for important hints.

It sounds like you have not set the necessary environment variables (MIOS_BIN_PATH, MIOS_PATH). There may be other things too.

Stryd

I would do that if I could understand how to get the errors from the CMD window into something I could post. I have tried every way I can find on the forum to set the environment variables but they just do not seem to stick. Also, when I look into c:\miod_base_v1_0b\bin I do not see the files cmios.h and pic18fregs.h which are the main ones that are complained about.

I guess I do not know what I do not know?????

I did go through your troubleshooting guide. There is so many pages on the ucapps site and Forum that I am lost in the trees. I cannot see what is important and what is out of date. I see where it said that sdcc_skeleton is a first step test to see if your system is correctly setup to compile using SDCC. SDCC -version displays the correct response as shown on the forum. I followed the guide on setting the environmental variables. But when I type PATH in the CMD window, the response does not reflect the changes. 

Also, when I type make -version in CMD window I get GNU Make 3.81

Is this what I should be seeing? When I type make main.c in CMD I get so many errors I cannot begin to display them???

Is there a newbi guide that walks one through a simple compile? I ran the test on the SDCC's how to and all the examples worked as they described them so I think I have SDCC setup correctly. Just the include *.h files are not being found at compile time. I understand that the environmental variables should tell the compiler where the *.h files are but, like I said, when I search the \bin I do not see the missing *.h files that the compiler reports as not found. I then copied the *.h files into the \bin but the compiler still faults that they are not found.

:P

Bill

Guest elPaharo

In the command window: right click -> mark -> press [enter] to copy -> paste here

Nils

Here is the error msg that I just obtained. Each time I do anything the error messages seem to change, but this time, when I ran SDCC main.c this is the result.

C:\mios_base_v1_0b>sdcc main.c
main.c:19:19: error: cmios.h: No such file or directory
main.c:20:24: error: pic18fregs.h: No such file or directory

main.c:27: syntax error: token -> '__wparam' ; column 24

main.c:54: syntax error: token -> '0x00' ; column 25

C:\mios_base_v1_0b>dir
 Volume in drive C has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is B40D-8905

Directory of C:\mios_base_v1_0b

12/03/2008  05:28 PM    <DIR>          .
12/03/2008  05:28 PM    <DIR>          ..
12/03/2008  11:17 AM    <DIR>          apps
12/03/2008  11:24 AM    <DIR>          bin
12/03/2008  11:17 AM    <DIR>          doc
12/03/2008  11:17 AM    <DIR>          etc
12/03/2008  11:17 AM    <DIR>          include
12/03/2008  11:17 AM    <DIR>          lib
08/06/2008  01:17 AM             5,145 main.c
08/06/2008  01:17 AM               938 Makefile
12/03/2008  11:17 AM    <DIR>          modules
08/06/2008  01:17 AM               896 README.txt
               3 File(s)          6,979 bytes
               9 Dir(s)  452,796,252,160 bytes free
And when I run make here is the result:
C:\mios_base_v1_0b>make
rm -rf _output/*
AllocationBase 0x0, BaseAddress 0x715B0000, RegionSize 0x150000, State 0x10000
C:\MSYS\1.0\bin\sh.exe: *** Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap, Win32 erro
r 6
make: *** [clean] Error 1
Here is the path readout: C
C:\mios_base_v1_0b>path
PATH=C:\MSYS\1.0\bin;C:\MinGW\bin;C:\Program Files\gputils\bin;C:\Program Files\
SDCC\bin;C:\MSUS\1.0\bin;C:\MinGW\bin;C:\Program Files\gputils\bin;C:\Program Fi
les\SDCC\bin;C:\Perl\site\bin;C:\Perl\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WIND
OWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel;C:\Program
 Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;
C:\Program Files\Intel\DMIX;c:\Program Files\SDCC\include\pic16;c:\Documents and
 Settings\Bill\Desktop\mios_base_v1_0b\include\c;C:\Program Files\gputils\bin;C:
\Program Files\SDCC\bin

I would do that if I could understand how to get the errors from the CMD window into something I could post.

Do like what nILS said; or even better, enable quickedit mode - that'll allow you to highlight with the mouse and hit enter to copy, and right-click to paste. Google is your friend on that one ;)

I have tried every way I can find on the forum to set the environment variables but they just do not seem to stick.

There are only two ways  (kinda): Temporarily, in the CMD.exe window. If you do them there, they will be lost when you close the window. That's done using the DOS command 'SET', as in:

SET MIOS_PATH=C:\MIOS\_SVNMIOS\trunk
SET MIOS_BIN_PATH=C:\MIOS\_SVNMIOS\trunk\bin

The other way, is in the GUI, which is explained in depth in http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/windows_toolchain_core

(You can also download tools to do it other ways, but we'll leave it there for now.

Also, when I look into c:\miod_base_v1_0b\bin I do not see the files cmios.h and pic18fregs.h which are the main ones that are complained about.

They should not be in that path, so that's good.

I guess I do not know what I do not know?????

HEhehe :D I'll try to help!

I did go through your troubleshooting guide. There is so many pages on the ucapps site and Forum that I am lost in the trees. I cannot see what is important and what is out of date.

Sorry about that mate, but that's how it is. You will need to take a little more time to read. I know it's exciting ad you just want to get started....

I see where it said that sdcc_skeleton is a first step test to see if your system is correctly setup to compile using SDCC.

Where did you see that? That may be bad advice.

The skeleton requires some more configuraton of your system, than an already-written app. This is because the 'distribution packages' that the apps are in when you download the zip, have the MIOS_PATH and MIOS_BIN_PATH hard-coded to point to the files inside the zip.

If you use the base package, which should only be required if you are building a new application from scratch, then you need to set these environment vars yourself.

SDCC -version displays the correct response as shown on the forum.

Good :)

I followed the guide on setting the environmental variables. But when I type PATH in the CMD window, the response does not reflect the changes. 

PATH is not the only environment var you need to set. Anyway, if you can paste the output here, that'll make it much easier to solve.

Also, when I type make -version in CMD window I get GNU Make 3.81

Is this what I should be seeing?

It is indeed :)

When I type make main.c in CMD I get so many errors I cannot begin to display them???

Often, the top one is the only one that should interest you, the rest may be consequential to that.

Is there a newbi guide that walks one through a simple compile?

Yes, it goes like this:

make

Hehehe seriously though, that's it. You just have to setup the toolchain correctly first.

I ran the test on the SDCC's how to and all the examples worked as they described them so I think I have SDCC setup correctly.

Good man.

Just the include *.h files are not being found at compile time. I understand that the environmental variables should tell the compiler where the *.h files are but, like I said, when I search the \bin I do not see the missing *.h files that the compiler reports as not found.

As I mentioned, that's not where they should be. The will be in several sub-folders of MIOS_PATH. If you specify MIOS_PATH correctly, it'll find them all.

I then copied the *.h files into the \bin but the compiler still faults that they are not found.

Never edit MIOS files. If it seems that you need to, something has gone wrong, and it's time to post :)

Ahh, a new post...

PATH=C:\MSYS\1.0\bin;C:\MinGW\bin;C:\Program Files\gputils\bin;C:\Program Files\

SDCC\bin;C:\MSUS\1.0\bin;

You didn't copy/paste. Always copy/paste. Don't read/type. Also, I can see that you've run the command a few times. Should only need to run it once. There are lots of repeated entries in ther, that's bad, and I notice you've added these two:

c:\Program Files\SDCC\include\pic16;c:\Documents and Settings\Bill\Desktop\mios_base_v1_0b\include\c

They shouldn't be there. Just follow the docs exactly, and It *should* work.

I say *should*, because you have reported a rare error. The cygwin one....

A quick google around will show you that the short answer is that you've installed tools that are not compatible with one another. Antivirus, firewalls, windows vista, anything using all your ram, cygwin, other posix tools, all manner of software can cause this error.

This has only occurred to two other midiboxers, and they ended up using the posix_bin.zip because they could not find out what was broken on their system. For one of them it worked. I'll have to leave it up to you...

Guest elPaharo

Do like what nILS said; or even better, enable quickedit mode - that'll allow you to highlight with the mouse and hit enter to copy, and right-click to paste. Google is your friend on that one ;)

Stryd, I deleted the entire tool-chain and started over from scratch. I noticed that I had screwed up several of the instructions on the previous attempt. As far as your comment on quickedit, I searched google but couldn't find any reference to it?

I say *should*, because you have reported a rare error. The cygwin one....

Yes, indeed, I got the dreaded cygwin error but I replaced the msys-1.0.dll with this one available at http://www.madwizard.org/download/electronics/msys-rebased.zip and the problem went away. Note I am on an WinXP box and not Vista so I was kinda surprised that it happened.

HEhehe Cheesy I'll try to help!

Here is my latest results when I type make:

C:\test>make
rm -rf _output/*
rm -rf _output
rm -rf *.cod *.map *.lst
rm -rf *.hex
mkdir -p _output
sh c:/mios_base/bin/mios-gpasm -c -p p18f452 -I./src -I c:/mios_base/include/asm
 -I c:/mios_base/include/share -I c:/mios_base/modules/app_lcd/dummy -DDEBUG_MOD
E=0  -DSTACK_HEAD=0x37f -DSTACK_IRQ_HEAD=0x33f -I c:/mios_base/modules/mios_wrap
per c:/mios_base/modules/mios_wrapper/mios_wrapper.asm  -o _output/mios_wrapper.
o
sh c:/mios_base/bin/mios-gpasm -c -p p18f452 -I./src -I c:/mios_base/include/asm
 -I c:/mios_base/include/share -I c:/mios_base/modules/app_lcd/dummy -DDEBUG_MOD
E=0   c:/mios_base/modules/app_lcd/dummy/app_lcd.asm -o _output/app_lcd.o
sh c:/mios_base/bin/mios-sdcc -c -mpic16 -p18f452 --fommit-frame-pointer --optim
ize-goto --optimize-cmp --disable-warning 85 --obanksel=2  -I./src -I c:/mios_ba
se/include/c -I c:/mios_base/include/share -DDEBUG_MODE=0  main.c -o _output/mai
n.o
[b][color=orange]c;c:\MSYS\1.0\mios_base\bin\mios-gpasm: c;c:\MSYS\1.0\mios_base\bin\mios-gpasm:
No such file or directory
make: *** [_output/main.o] Error 1[/color][/b]

C:\test>

Bill

quickedit, I searched google but couldn't find any reference to it?

Serious? I got lots of hits for 'cmd.exe quickedit', like this:

http://marcomorain.com/archives/2007/03/02/201/quickedit-mode-in-cmdexe/

Yes, indeed, I got the dreaded cygwin error but I replaced the msys-1.0.dll with this one available at http://www.madwizard.org/download/electronics/msys-rebased.zip and the problem went away.

10 points for troubleshooting there :) Nice one man! When the rebased DLL works, that means there's some other DLL on your system that conflicted, so it's not a vista thing in this case.

Here is my latest results when I type make:

rm -rf _output/*

rm -rf _output

rm -rf *.cod *.map *.lst

rm -rf *.hex

mkdir -p _output

sh c:/mios_base/bin/mios-gpasm -c -p p18f452 -I./src -I c:/mios_base/include/asm -I c:/mios_base/include/share -I c:/mios_base/modules/app_lcd/dummy -DDEBUG_MODE=0  -DSTACK_HEAD=0x37f -DSTACK_IRQ_HEAD=0x33f -I c:/mios_base/modules/mios_wrapper c:/mios_base/modules/mios_wrapper/mios_wrapper.asm  -o _output/mios_wrapper.o

sh c:/mios_base/bin/mios-gpasm -c -p p18f452 -I./src -I c:/mios_base/include/asm -I c:/mios_base/include/share -I c:/mios_base/modules/app_lcd/dummy -DDEBUG_MODE=0   c:/mios_base/modules/app_lcd/dummy/app_lcd.asm -o _output/app_lcd.o

sh c:/mios_base/bin/mios-sdcc -c -mpic16 -p18f452 --fommit-frame-pointer --optimize-goto --optimize-cmp --disable-warning 85 --obanksel=2  -I./src -I c:/mios_base/include/c -I c:/mios_base/include/share -DDEBUG_MODE=0  main.c -o _output/main.o

So far, so good. Your toolchain is working.

c;c:\MSYS\1.0\mios_base\bin\mios-gpasm: c;c:\MSYS\1.0\mios_base\bin\mios-gpasm:

No such file or directory

make: *** [_output/main.o] Error 1

C:\test>

Errr that's weird. Have you edited the makefile (including common.mk) or something? What are you environment variables set to? You can show them by typing 'SET MIOS' at the DOS prompt.

By the way, how does one make that insert code window work?

Hit the button up there, this one: code.gif

Guest elPaharo

Errr that's weird. Have you edited the makefile (including common.mk) or something? What are you environment variables set to? You can show them by typing 'SET MIOS' at the DOS prompt.

No I have not edited anything this time around.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Bill>set mios
MIOS_BIN_PATH=c:/mios_base/bin
MIOS_PATH=c:/mios_base

Here is the Set MIOS

I placed the mios_base_v1_0b into c:\

Then I removed the part _v1_0b to make typing the path easier; maybe I should not have done that????

I feel that I am getting close to getting this stuff to compile, but, I am at wits end to understand why!

Thank you Stryd for not blowing this off.

Bill

I placed the mios_base_v1_0b into c:\

Then I removed the part _v1_0b to make typing the path easier; maybe I should not have done that????

That's fine :)

I feel that I am getting close to getting this stuff to compile, but, I am at wits end to understand why!

Thank you Stryd for not blowing this off.

No probs man. Try legal slashes ;)

IE Not:

but:

MIOS_BIN_PATH=c:\mios_base\bin

MIOS_PATH=c:\mios_base

Guest elPaharo

No probs man. Try legal slashes ;)

IE Not:

but:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Bill>set mios

C:\Documents and Settings\Bill>PATH
PATH=c:\MSYS\1.0\bin;c:\Program Files\gputils\bin;c:\Program Files\SDCC\bin;c:\M
inGW\bin;C:\Perl\site\bin;C:\Perl\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\
System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel;C:\Program Fil
es\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\P
rogram Files\Intel\DMIX

C:\Documents and Settings\Bill>cd c:\test

rm -rf _output/*
rm -rf _output
rm -rf *.cod *.map *.lst
rm -rf *.hex
mkdir -p _output
sh c:\mios_base\bin/mios-gpasm -c -p p18f452 -I./src -I c:\mios_base/include/asm
 -I c:\mios_base/include/share -I c:\mios_base/modules/app_lcd/dummy -DDEBUG_MOD
E=0  -DSTACK_HEAD=0x37f -DSTACK_IRQ_HEAD=0x33f -I c:\mios_base/modules/mios_wrap
per c:\mios_base/modules/mios_wrapper/mios_wrapper.asm  -o _output/mios_wrapper.
o
c:mios_basebin/mios-gpasm: c:mios_basebin/mios-gpasm: No such file or directory
make: *** [_output/mios_wrapper.o] Error 127
For some reason the last two assignment are missing the slash between base and bin: c:mios_basebin/mios-gpasm: c:mios_basebin/mios-gpasm: No such file or directory make: *** [_output/mios_wrapper.o] Error 127 Since I have removed all parts of the tool chain and all the examples and mios_base, reloaded it all with no edits except the path variables I am lost to explain where that error is coming from. Here is the make --debug attempt:
Built for i686-pc-msys
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000
        Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Report bugs to <bug-make@gnu.org>.

Reading makefiles...
Updating goal targets....
 File `all' does not exist.
   File `cleanall' does not exist.
     File `clean' does not exist.
    Must remake target `clean'.
rm -rf _output/*
rm -rf _output
rm -rf *.cod *.map *.lst
    Successfully remade target file `clean'.
  Must remake target `cleanall'.
rm -rf *.hex
  Successfully remade target file `cleanall'.
   File `project.hex' does not exist.
     File `mk_outdir' does not exist.
    Must remake target `mk_outdir'.
mkdir -p _output
    Successfully remade target file `mk_outdir'.
     File `_output/mios_wrapper.o' does not exist.
    Must remake target `_output/mios_wrapper.o'.
sh c:\mios_base\bin/mios-gpasm -c -p p18f452 -I./src -I c:\mios_base/include/asm
E=0  -DSTACK_HEAD=0x37f -DSTACK_IRQ_HEAD=0x33f -I c:\mios_base/modules/mios_wrap
per c:\mios_base/modules/mios_wrapper/mios_wrapper.asm  -o _output/mios_wrapper.
o
c:mios_basebin/mios-gpasm: c:mios_basebin/mios-gpasm: No such file or directory
make: *** [_output/mios_wrapper.o] Error 127
C:\mios_base\bin>dir
 Volume in drive C has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is B40D-8905

Directory of C:\mios_base\bin

12/04/2008  07:58 AM    <DIR>          .
12/04/2008  07:58 AM    <DIR>          ..
08/06/2008  01:17 AM             4,495 bin2asm.pl
08/06/2008  01:17 AM             4,527 convpix.pl
08/06/2008  01:17 AM             5,805 hex2asm.pl
08/06/2008  01:17 AM            10,582 hex2syx.pl
08/06/2008  01:17 AM             5,185 mios-gpasm
08/06/2008  01:17 AM               406 mios-sdcc
08/06/2008  01:17 AM            15,842 mios_doc.pl
08/06/2008  01:17 AM             5,161 mk-dist.pl
08/06/2008  01:17 AM             4,840 mkdbg.pl
08/06/2008  01:17 AM             3,099 release-base.pl
08/06/2008  01:17 AM             3,138 release-mios-app.pl
08/06/2008  01:17 AM             8,654 syx2asm.pl
              12 File(s)         71,734 bytes
               2 Dir(s)  453,002,461,184 bytes free

:-[ Bill  :-[

Guest elPaharo

That's a different error to before.

What else did you change?

Can you do these too:

make --version

sh --version

sed --version

sdcc --version

gpasm --version

C:\sm_c>make --version
GNU Make version 3.79.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Built for i686-pc-msys
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

C:\sm_c>sh --version
GNU bash, version 2.04.0(1)-release (i686-pc-msys)
Copyright 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

C:\sm_c>sed --version
GNU sed version 3.02

Copyright (C) 1998 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE,
to the extent permitted by law.

C:\sm_c>sdcc --version
SDCC : mcs51/gbz80/z80/avr/ds390/pic16/pic14/TININative/xa51/ds400/hc08 2.8.0 #5
117 (Mar 23 2008) (MINGW32)

C:\sm_c>gpasm --version
gpasm-0.13.6 beta

?????

Guest elPaharo

That's a different error to before.

What else did you change?

The only thing I did was uninstall everything and then installed everything. That was yesterday morning Texas Central Time.

Since then just the environment variables.

Can you do these too:

make --version

sh --version

sed --version

sdcc --version

gpasm --version

Built for i686-pc-msys
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

C:\sm_c>sh --version
GNU bash, version 2.04.0(1)-release (i686-pc-msys)
Copyright 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

C:\sm_c>sed --version
GNU sed version 3.02

Copyright (C) 1998 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE,
to the extent permitted by law.

C:\sm_c>sdcc --version
SDCC : mcs51/gbz80/z80/avr/ds390/pic16/pic14/TININative/xa51/ds400/hc08 2.8.0 #5
117 (Mar 23 2008) (MINGW32)

C:\sm_c>gpasm --version
gpasm-0.13.6 beta

?????

There's your problem. 3.81 is the one you want. The current version of MSYS ships with 3.79.1. The 'candidate' release of MinGW has the later 3.81 version. Part of the quickstart guide Overwriting make.exe of MSYS shows you the command to run, to put 3.81 in the correct location. I think you accidentally missed this step the 2nd time around :)

Guest elPaharo

There's your problem. 3.81 is the one you want. The current version of MSYS ships with 3.79.1. The 'candidate' release of MinGW has the later 3.81 version. Part of the quickstart guide Overwriting make.exe of MSYS shows you the command to run, to put 3.81 in the correct location. I think you accidentally missed this step the 2nd time around :)
Damn your good, Stryd! That was the key that I missed the second time around. I guess I could explain this by my old aged eye balls, but, I doubt you would by that lame excuse. 64
rm -rf _output/*
rm -rf _output
rm -rf *.cod *.map *.lst
rm -rf *.hex
mkdir -p _output
o
E=0   c:\mios_base/modules/app_lcd/dummy/app_lcd.asm -o _output/app_lcd.o
sh c:\mios_base\bin/mios-sdcc -c -mpic16 -p18f452 --fommit-frame-pointer --optim
ize-goto --optimize-cmp --disable-warning 85 --obanksel=2  -I./src -I c:\mios_ba
se/include/c -I c:\mios_base/include/share -DDEBUG_MODE=0  main.c -o _output/mai
n.o
c:/mios_base/bin/mios-gpasm modifies _output/main.asm, result in _output/main__m
ios-gpasm-tmp.asm
gplink -s c:\mios_base/etc/lkr/p18f452.lkr -m -o project.hex  c:\mios_base/lib/l
ibsdcc.lib c:\mios_base/lib/pic18f452.lib _output/mios_wrapper.o _output/app_lcd
.o _output/main.o

PS, I now have the quickedit thing working per yours and nILS instruictions.

Stryd, Thank you.

Bill

Yay! :D

Any time dude! It's a pleasure to help when people help themselves like you do. Especially, I am very impressed that you fixed the 'cygwin' error. You can probably tell from google, some people never fix that one. What's more, you shared the link so that others can try your fix. Rock on.

I'm sorry you had an unlucky time with the toolchain though :( Don't worry, it's usually not so tricky to do the midibox thing, the rest should be comparatively easy :)

Guest elPaharo

I see where it said that sdcc_skeleton is a first step test to see if your system is correctly setup to compile using SDCC.

Where did you see that? That may be bad advice.

Stryd' date=' just to answer your earlier question about where I got the notion that compiling sdcc_skeleton was a first step to see if everything was set up right. See below:

The MIOS base package also contains a skeleton for C applications, it's located under $MIOS_PATH/apps/templates/sdcc_skeleton/

Once you are able to compile this application, you are ready to start programming your own.

which came from http://www.ucapps.de/mios_c.html

Once again, thank you for the assistance!

Bill

Ahh I got ya. That page is mostly aimed at people making their own apps; as you now know, the distribution packages take care of the need for the mios_* environment variables and the mios_base package - so they are easier to compile. If you're modifying an existing app, that is the easiest way to test the toolchain.