Feature suggestion: matrix <> mod source

nebula

Maybe it's my inexperience so far with my MB-6582 so far, but I often find myself having to stop and think about which mod source is which when I assign something in the matrix.  1 and 2 are envelopes 1-2, and 3-8 are LFO 1-6.  Usually when I create the modulation routing, I immediately want to jump to the modulation source and edit it.  Unfortunately from a UI standpoint the matrix "feels" somewhat disconnected from the LFO and envelope controls.

At first I was thinking it would be nice for the modulation source to automatically be selected every time you create a modulation point, but that could be annoying if you're trying to tweak one source while toggling another.  But...

It would be cool if I pressed "3" in the matrix, WITHOUT selecting a modulation target, and then RELEASED the button, the control surface would automatically change the selected LFO to #1.  Maybe the newly selected LFO would even blink once or twice to show you that it did it.  Or press and release "5" and the selected LFO would jump to 3.  Or press and release "2" and the selected envelope would jump to 2.

The idea is that it saves the user a step, and some thought.

Similarly, when you select an LFO or an envelope using the selection buttons (LFO 1-6, Env 1-2), maybe the entire column in the matrix that corresponds to the source you select could blink, just once very quickly, to show which source you're about to edit.

Any opinions?

Yep.. I like it.

At risk of hijacking this thread... does anyone out there crave "Preset" buttons..

Maybe the matrix could have a third mode (both LED's on) in which the grid points towards 64 different definable presets/patches

My 6582 is mainly gonna be a live machine, and I don't want to have to scroll through X number of presets to get to the sounds I want.. I know that I could save one in A001 and one in A002 etc.. But it'd be cool to have either 64 slots (via tha matrix) or 16 (via the source & destination buttons) for my fav sounds one or two button presses away.

Regards

Mike

Usually when I create the modulation routing, I immediately want to jump to the modulation source and edit it.  Unfortunately from a UI standpoint the matrix "feels" somewhat disconnected from the LFO and envelope controls.

press SHIFT + modulation column button

imilarly, when you select an LFO or an envelope using the selection buttons (LFO 1-6, Env 1-2), maybe the entire column in the matrix that corresponds to the source you select could blink, just once very quickly, to show which source you're about to edit.

good idea

Maybe the matrix could have a third mode (both LED's on) in which the grid points towards 64 different definable presets/patches

good idea.

But question: which button combination should be used without the need for adding more buttons?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

But question: which button combination should be used without the need for adding more buttons?

I was thinking that the Meter/matrix button could have three modes it cycles through, Meter,Matrix & Patch (Which would be both LED's on).. or you could access the Quick patch mode by holding down shift and pressing the meter/matrix button.. (Both LED's could be on to denote it's in patch mode)

I just had a crazy idea... Maybe in this mode, the whole matrix displays the quick patch number as a MASSIVE number or HEX! (0-F).. I know I'm clutching at straws as the saying goes, but that would be damn cool.

Regards

Mike