Stupid things to do with a laser cutter

Goblinz

That's a crepe!

Definitely a pancake... see, it comes with lemon and sugar.

American pancakes are drop scones.

I find it amusing that so many of us use the same language, but words mean completely different things... England did invent it though, I won't be accepting American or Australian English untill it comes out of beta testing ;D

AHAHAA I piss my pants.

And what about Scots? They have very special English too.

Can't really criticise the Scots... my ancestors were Scottish border reavers. It can be very hard to understand at times, particularly when your the only one in a group of Scots. Broad Yorkshire accents are just as bad... They recently had to give rural doctors training in how to understand some Yorkshire terms.

see, it comes with lemon and sugar.

Definitely a crepe then. Lemon and sugar on pancakes is shite, it just turns into soggy paste. You want Canadian Maple and whipped butter on those, Oh yeh.

I find it amusing that so many of us use the same language, but words mean completely different things... England did invent it though, I won't be accepting American or Australian English untill it comes out of beta testing ;D

Aussie English is pretty much the same as UK English. We won't be aligned with those yanks and their rampant Z's!

My favourite is "fanny". In American it means your bottom.... In Aussie, and I'm pretty sure English too, it means ahh... front-bottom. Can make for some extra-amusing lines in US TV shows ;)

...Lemon and sugar on pancakes is shite, it just turns into soggy paste.

Lemon and sugar is obviously some traditional recipe but it don`t seems very tasty to me. Suggar and nuts is something different. In one part of my country people used to fill the pancakes with mix  of sweet cheese and eggs with some gridded lemon skin and than bake it in oven. :P

Good thing about pancakes is that you can put whatever you like in it, just like pizza. That is why is so international.

I think you're talking about savoury crepes - best for mains/entree, those kinds of fillings (or sometimes cooked into the crepes like I've had with cheese and spring onion/shallots/whatever they're called where you live) 

...the lemon/sugar thing is better for dessert, or maybe breakfast.... Such a versatile dish - just like a pizza, as you said :)

Ahh food. One of the very few things as cool as midiboxing :)

The resident chef speaks! :D

Best is with boiled eggs and asparaguses (possibly green) a bit of virgin olive oil and freshly ground black pepper.

*barf* I don't like savoury crepes myself. But I have a sweet tooth ;)

What about laser cutting pancakes?

You must have missed the rest of this highly important and productive on-topic thread :D

Ahh food. One of the very few things as cool as midiboxing :)

Indeed. I have a firm belief that intelligent and creative people can become excellent chefs with experience, and I've always considered myself a bit of a chef in perpetual training... :)

The whole pancate-semantics debate though. Tricky business. In Russia there's blinis, which are much like savoury crepes. In Finland there's letut (Finnish) or plättar (Swedish), which are "Swedish pancakes" according to my 1950's Betty Crockers cookbook. In my experience blinis, crepes, and Swedish pancakes are all non-rising. The Swedes (and Finns) make something called pannkaka / pannukakku, which does rise but is not fried in a pan but baked in an oven. American pancakes are, in my experience always made with a rising component. Older recepies employed yeast, but today it's practically always baking soda or baking powder.

OK, out of trivia now. :)

My favourite is "fanny". In American it means your bottom.... In Aussie, and I'm pretty sure English too, it means ahh... front-bottom. Can make for some extra-amusing lines in US TV shows ;)

In reverse, a friend of mine was a bit gobsmacked when he found out:

Australian "Durex" = brand of adhesive tape = UK "Sellotape"

UK "Durex" = Leading brand of condom .....

And a cultural collison from a London gig with a US Rapstar.

Rapstar's PA to on stage manager: "Where's the M********n sound engineer ?"

Stage manager: "He's just gone outside - he'll be back in a minute"

Rapstar's PA: "What the F*** is he doing outside, we want him back on the desk now"

Stage manager, (patient voice):, "Look, he's just gone out to smoke a fag - he'll be back in a minute"

Rapstar's PA, (rather quieter voice): "Jeez, these guys are really hardcore"

Official translation "Smoke a fag", UK = partake of a cigarette, Rapper US stylee = "shoot a homosexual".

Honda Fitta, sold somewhere in southern Europe. In Swedish, however, fitta is slang for cunt... ;)

Also, I totally forgot about Finnish and/or Swedish spinach pancakes and blood pancakes. (I kid you not, great with lingonberry jam :) )

Are the blood pancakes anything like black-pudding?

Are the blood pancakes anything like black-pudding?

Wikipedia seems to bundle them all up in a list of regional variants:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_pudding

Black pudding seems to much like Finnish "mustamakkara", or black sausage, made from blood, oats, stuff like that. Good stuff.

(It's too bad that the blood (and intestines) of slaughtered animals seems to go to waste in a lot of places. Why use up all that energy to raise an animal for slaughter and only use a fraction of the useful parts in the end..?)

*/tilted/ challenges all to a round of Ecky thump.

I'm, not going to go into Lancashire dialect, in view of the international nature of this board, but I'm within a bus ride of at least two prize winning black pudding makers.

http://www.buryblackpuddings.co.uk/

http://www.rsireland.co.uk/

The Bury company actually sell puddings made in Farnworth, not far from where I had a workshop in the late seventies.

Black pudding is an essential part of the classic "Truck Drivers Breakfast", sometimes known as "Heart Attack on a Plate". Going back to the thread title, if you could do thin slices of black pudding with a laser cutter, perhaps you could slice and cook all at the same time.

And like MIDIbox, I think it's a German invention "Blutwurst", (with my German O Level 'Fail' I expect I spelled that wrong).

http://www.buryblackpuddings.co.uk/

http://www.rsireland.co.uk/

The Bury company actually sell puddings made in Farnworth, not far from where I had a workshop in the late seventies.

Bookmarked!

And thanks to wikipedia, I'm going to have to try it battered and deep fried at some point.

(I'm a big fan of late morning fry-ups after a late night out)

I'm late coming into this thread, but have you guys tried Korean savoury crepes? DAMN TASTY! Best I've ever had, by far.

Lot's of cultures find some use for blood. I had congealed blood in China. My Hungarian workmate recommended I make a blood soup when I slaughter the two chickens I'm raising in my back garden.

Hmm, chicken. They look tastier every day. Aint nothin like home grown animal flesh.

Damn it, I wasn't supposed to think about food. I can't eat for 36 hours before my surgery on Wed.

Just had English pancakes for tea!

I asked my mother what the difference between Pancakes and crepes are... Apparently the batter is thicker and you pour more in the pan too, giving a nice, good, thick English Pancake of substance, rather than the flimsy crepes found in France.... So now you know!  ;)

• 2 weeks later...