Some ideas for Seq enhancements

monokinetic

Hiya,

This weekend I had another long MB Seq session, TK the Seq is one of my favourite devices - thanks a million :)

After the marathon session (which, when I had a mild headache in the morning, reminded me I need to dim a few of my LEDs with resistors!) I have a few suggestions and would be interested in how other Seq users feel about them:

I think the Mutes page would be more useful if it were possible to create groups of mutes, so that multiple tracks could be switched on/off with one button. My idea was to have a function where if one of the group buttons is held down and then the GP buttons are used to unmute/mute a track, this track is added to a mute group, which can then be toggled using the group button. I think this would be especially relevant when MB Seq 4 arrives and we have untold tracks to control. Anyone else think this might be useful?

Quite often this weekend, when I switched to the Song page to use pattern mode to quickly switch to the next part of the Song, I forgot to press Layer B. This means that the GP buttons skip to the next song and the Seq stops playing. IMO it would be nicer if the default screen element selected was the setting chosen by layer button B. Just a small detail but would make me more comfortable in a live situation....

But anyway, they are just suggestions after some major usage. Of course I would love to say that I'll look at the code but I'm busy learning Smalltalk to coax more strangeness from the Capybara ;-) maybe when MB Seq 4 is in C. .....maybe....

Best

Dave mK

Mute function:

My fear was the same if SeqV4 would come with >16 tracks.

Inspired by the Machinedrum's extended mute function, i proposed a similar method for SeqV4, quite like your idea.

We already had a discussion about this in the SeqV4 percussion tracks thread, maybe you can add some more thoughts there:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,12799.15.html

Quite often this weekend, when I switched to the Song page to use pattern mode to quickly switch to the next part of the Song, I forgot to press Layer B. This means that the GP buttons skip to the next song and the Seq stops playing. IMO it would be nicer if the default screen element selected was the setting chosen by layer button B. Just a small detail but would make me more comfortable in a live situation....

I noticed this too. I would also like a way to select the B layer button as default when switching to song mode especially when in phrase mode. Any hint where to edit the source code?

I will think about a solution how to integrate Mute groups and "simultaneous mute/pattern" changes into MBSEQ V3

Track buttons should do it as well? Because most MBSEQ frontpanels don't provide group buttons.

It should also be possible to have Layer B as default selection in song page, but it will be a dirty solution. I only need to shift the cursor positions, so that the Song number will be selected as last item instead of first (Swindus: many code changes, should I really list them? Or should I change it directly which would consume less time at my side...)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

quite like your idea.

We already had a discussion about this in the SeqV4 percussion tracks thread, maybe you can add some more thoughts there:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,12799.15.html

Glad you like the suggestion, I was originally going to post this in the thread you mentioned but I decided I shouldn't hijack. Thanks for the pointer though  :)

Track buttons should do it as well? Because most MBSEQ frontpanels don't provide group buttons.

Ooops I meant the Track buttons, sorry. I won't have group buttons till I finish my second Seq....

but it will be a dirty solution.

I think a dirty solution for the time being while we wait for MB Seq 4 going public would be great. As long as it doesn't take lots of development time away from Seq 4 ;)

Best

Dave

Ok, I added simultaneous Mute changes and the initial cursor pos change in Song page (on an extremely dirty way, otherwise too many critical changes are required)

I don't feel motivated to add the other feature requests in the old MBSEQ V3 firmware, as it would cost me another evening (not considered, that I probably have to spend a second evening to free some memory, which will lead to new bugs, etc.)...

For comparison: in MBSEQ V4 I can integrate such improvements within 10..20 minutes.

Thanks for your understanding

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I don't feel motivated to add the other feature requests in the old MBSEQ V3 firmware, as it would cost me another evening (not considered, that I probably have to spend a second evening to free some memory, which will lead to new bugs, etc.)...

For comparison: in MBSEQ V4 I can integrate such improvements within 10..20 minutes.

I totally understand, it's brilliant that you took the time to implement these at all. A millions thanks, as always :-D

Dave mK

• 3 years later...

Hi!

Another function that I would find useful (and maybe other SEQ addicts would as well) would be, in SONG MODE, to be able to program a step where MIDI MASTER / SLAVE / AUTO is defined...

It can be useful when using a complex machine setup (and I guess I'm not the only MB SEQ user looking for trouble out there... ;-) )

Thanks in advance!

All the best,

Gaël

Hi Gaël,

it won't be so easy to add this to the song mode, because switching the clock mode while the sequencer is playing can result into unwanted hick-ups (e.g. it can't be synchronized by the scheduler).

I would only add this if multiple people request such a feature, and if they accept that it won't work without synchronisation issues.

Best Regards, Thorsten.