MIDIBox SID V2 Controller Setup

toneburst

I've just been looking through

bsidv2_parameter_chart

and I'm a bit confused as to how, or if, I can setup my Novation XStation to control some parameters of the SID V2 LEAD or Bassline engines. My controller allows knobs and sliders to send out NRPN data, but I'm only able to set a single decimal number for the MSB and LSB, and am only able to output values in the range 0 > 127 for any given parameter. Is it going to be possible to use the XStation to control key parameters like Cutoff, Resonance, filter Env. Depth of for the LEAD and BASSLINE engines? I'm not looking to map every single SID control, just be able to tweak a few parameters from my controller keyboard, before I've completed the CS.

I posted a similar query in another thread, so apologies for the duplication.

Cheers,

a|x

i have a newly acquired Novation KS 4 myself, and it would be a godsend to use that for controlling an unfinished MBSid.

In my manual there's a look up chart for the NRPNs recieved/transmitted.

I suppose its the same for yours, and it would be a matter of modifying the MB-Sids implementation Chart to make the NRPNs recieved compatible?    ???

I'll have to go searching now to see if its simply a matter of editing something like an .asm file, like when you want to modify the default Control surface or if its a more complicated matter involving programming.

I lost my patch on my M-Audio Axiom 49, but I was able to get things working with it and the MBSID via NRPN. From what I can tell, you have a coarse control and fine control but you can't map them both to the same knob/slider (at least I couldn't). So I just used the coarse setting for most things. In fact, I don't think I ever got the fine control stuff working. From what I remember, you have to configure a different LSB/MSB to select between coarse and fine. Or something like that ;)

It took me a few hours to figure it out the first time, and most of that was trying to figure out how to setup the Axiom, not the SID. Novation sells some awesome controllers, so I'm sure you can make it all work. I'd recommend scouring your manual to see if it can offer some insight. The MBSID implementation chart helps too (particularly the first couple of paragraphs that describes how all this works and, most important, the easy to use short-cuts for figuring our MSB/LSB values).

All that said, TK was kind enough to bring back CC events to MB-SID (http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,12774.0.html) so you could use that, grant, with a loss of precision for some things.

Hope that helps! Good luck and let us know if you all get this working (and maybe share your work :). I plan on posting my patch for my Axiom 49 once I get around to redoing it.

Here is a possible alternate solution, which i dont have time to look into atm:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=NLdoNvS16HU

The guy in that vid is using a multi platform program called PureData to transform NRPN values,

so he can use his BCR-2000 controller with an alesis micron.

Of course it means using a computer in conjunction with your midi controller but at least its an alternative way.