CORE PSU

fstop

It really depends on the additional things like LEDs and a Display-Backlight.

If you're using a backlit display and some LEDs it will probably draw some 500mA.

Btw. Current is measured in Ampere. So it's  gotta be mA instead of mha.

If you want to measure the capacity of a battery/rechargeable battery it's Ampere*hours.

-> Ah , mAh

regards

If you want to measure the capacity of a battery/rechargeable battery it's Ampere*hours.

Aaaaand using "capacity" is this context is really not a smart move as capacity is measure in Farad. ;)

edit: okay, just making sure - I know, and I am just kidding.

Why must you present so much resistance to his terminology. The impedance to fun is very powerful, we were feeling positive but you've really brought us back down to earth. Think of the signals you are emitting in the forum. You should isolate such thoughts in a volt to insulate us from a negative buzz. Of course, I'm not currently in charge, it's just my opinion, and I guess I am biased - you know I'm an anarchist so I believe that regulated power can still be evil, even if it does appear to be smoothed. Anyway, I haven't the capacity to continue with this matter. IC u l8r.

This is slightly off topic, but I'm confused about how the power supply gets connected to the CORE. I have the smashTV kit so I have two small pins sticking out of J1 - are these for the +/- wires from the power supply? This is probably a dumb question, I just wanna be sure so I don't screw things up here. Does anything need to make contact with the big hole on top of the Voltage Regulator at IC3?

By the way, when you say:

"If you're using a backlit display and some LEDs it will probably draw some 500mA."

do you mean that a power supply of a lower mA will cause a completely dark display? What if it is over 500mA - will that cause everything to explode?

Speaking of SmashTV, the answer you seek is on his website:

http://www.avishowtech.com/mbhp/mbhp_coreR4d.html

As for the regulator, that tab at the top is connected to ground in this case. You could connect a heatsink or heatpipe to the regulator using it so carry away heat that the regulator generates in order to produce a stable voltage. You do not need to put anything on it, though you might keep an eye on it to see if the regulator is getting hot.

As for the transformer, putting too much load on it can do a number of things. You can likely kill your power supply, cause brown-outs, etc. I've never had the personal experience with that since I use larger power supplies than I need and use fuses. So, if you're worried about that, I'd do the same. At least think about using a fuse if you're worried about it.