How to solder PC/Panel mount pots

Guest smurky

Does anyone have any tips for soldering this kind of pot?

http://www.bendables.co.uk/shop/shop.php?c=viewproduct&pid=34&cat=17&maincat=4&start=0&sid=sidb636e801c2b6be15c7f7ad9f7f72bf51

My local store doesn't have pots with solder lugs. I want to panel mount the pots (no problem), but soldering wires to those pins... is there an easy way to do it?

If the pots in question are indeed the type in the photo you posted, you could pass the wire through the rivet-post, adjacent to each pin. These are electrically connected to the pin, and are, uhm, hole-shaped. Can something be shaped like a hole?

As these rivets are right on the carbon track, you don't want to cook them. Any realistic powered soldering iron should be fine, just don't use an acetylene torch to solder them. (actually an acetylene torch would probably vapourise the solder, anyway...)

I use 3rd hand to hold the pot. I always tin both, wire and pot pins. Pot pins have some more solder ...like a small ball. Than I position the wire in parallel to the pot pin and just apply some heat. Using heatshinks is highly advisable. It makes joint nice isolation and it looks good.

3203633928_32711e7968.jpg3203633932_ec0138c6f5.jpg

Thanks mate. Heatshinks and cable ties are a must for any serious cabling. Even it takes much work, I find I enjoy it more doing it properly than doing it quickly - plain soldering. So, it is not so boring thing to do as it used to be. I must admit I started to use those tubes last year for the first time. Also just last year I bought my first  3rd hand. I used to do all sort of gymnastics for all my life without it. :-[

I never realized how important small things like that are and how can it ease the work and make it more enjoyable.

Also just last year I bought my first  3rd hand. I used to do all sort of gymnastics for all my life without it. :-[

I never realized how important small things like that are and how can it ease the work and make it more enjoyable.

LOL I know what you mean about the gymnastics!

These were wise words; take note, newbies!

I use 3rd hand to hold the pot. I always tin both, wire and pot pins. Pot pins have some more solder ...like a small ball. Than I position the wire in parallel to the pot pin and just apply some heat.

Thanks for the clear description (and the inspiring pics). That's by far the easiest method of those I've tried.