My seq

loziniak2

Hi all!

In January I started to build my own seq v3.4. I thought I'll post some info / pictures / files of it, to contribute something, and maybe get some feedback. And I just love to watch others' equipment being built (greetz to Sasha, Gridracer and many others), so I hope someone could enjoy mine too :-)

I'm building it entirely of parts available locally (posting from USA is far too expensive, and it seemed like challenge to me. Almost everything I need is available here in Poland, the only thing that I didn't manage to find till now is 512kb banksticks in DIP package, but I hope it'll happen at some time...

I'm going to use a Commodore 64C's case. Maybe I'll build a SID midibox one day using it's chip. I'm planning to rearrange buttons a little, so I can fit everything into the 132.5x400mm front panel. Main difference is I'm using my encoders' "switch" function to get rid of one row of switches. The details will follow.

The whole welding / pcb / electronics mess is a new thing for me, so I got in touch with one guy who studied and works as an electronic engineer, so he helped me a lot - chose welding iron, recommended some places to buy parts, etched pcbs, and programmed the PIC chip (there were some problems because wi were using non-midibox programmer, see this thread: http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,13008.0.html). Great thanks to Grzesiek!

Ok, so that's for introduction, if I'll recall some more facts, I'll keep posting. Now the pictures :-)

There is my front panel design - a png picture and a dxf project made in QCad (http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad.html). Maybe it will be of some use for someone.

Blue lines are holes in panel, which will be CNC-cut. Yellow ones are project of pcbs. And the brown are contours of parts.

The buttons are (from left to right and top to bottom):

- "all" and "fast" - these will be frequently used I think so I put them easily accessible by left hand.

- 4 tracks and 4 groups

- 3 layers and 3 triggers

- rew/stop/play/pause/ffwd

- led bpm display together with beat and midi tx leds

- datawheel

- two 2x40 lcds

- 16 encoders with switch functions (left to right: mute, solo, pattern, song, f1, f2, f3, f4, exit, select, 2x not assigned, scrub, metronome, menu, edit), 3mm leds next to them

- 16 step switches with standard menu functions, the one in center is 1-16/17-32 view switch.

4567_panel_2048_png54f0e3d985772fe7bddf7

panel.dxf.zip

4567_panel_2048_png54f0e3d985772fe7bddf7

panel.dxf.zip

Thanks for your warm words :-) The PCBs were etched by my friend, he's got all necessary chemicals, tools and knowledge. He also helped me to program the PIC, the rest is mine - drilling holes, soldering, designing...

I don't have many new things to show, because I'm waiting for my front panel, because it's the main element to fit others to. Btw, I'm very happy, because I found a workshop here in Warsaw that will laser-cut the panel, a few internal parts, and do powder-coating of panel, all for less than 20 euro.

In the meantime, inspired by Sasha http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,12941.0.html, I repaired my Roland D-5. I changed all microswitches which had some beer or coffee in them and were getting stuck, exchanged damaged 3rd octave of rubber contacts with good 1st octave, and cleaned all the mess that was inside. I could tell the nutrition habits of previous owner from the content of synth's case ;-)

greets

Maciek

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...