Desoldering / resoldering an IC with no access to underside.

Futureman

I'm in the process of fixing up my semi working Delta Labs DL-4 delay, and making good progress.. I've fixed one fault (dying Tantalum)

and pretty much diagnosed another fault (Faulty 4011 CMOS).

My question is, with one of the PCB's, It's a total arse to get out etc.. too many jumpers etc.

This raised a small thought, if I cut out the old IC, and removed the remaining pins etc, and wanted to solder in a IC mount, do you think it would be possible to do it all with no access to the underside of the PCB?

I was thinking about getting one of those long wire wrap IC holders, cutting the legs a bit, and solder it so it's base is a fraction above the PCB, and use the solder to 'wick' to the underside of the PCB.

Has anyone done this before? Any thoughts?

PS - If this is in the wrong category, please move/remove.

Regards

Mike

If the board has plated through-holes (as is generally the case with double-sided boards), then you should be able to solder from either side of the board.

If it is a single sided board with plain ol' drilled holes, you will be able to heat and remove stuff, but you will never be able to reliably solder a replacement component in its place unless you can heat the traces up with your iron.

(BTW:  should probably be "miscellaneous", since this doesn't pertain to a MIDIbox project)

Yes... machined sockets.. good call.

I've never really tried to repair digital stuff until today..

so much progress while nursing a hangover... pretty much fixed the delay which I'm stoked about.. I then attacked an old LinnDrum that I had been given for free (it was busted) and it looks like I now know whats wrong with that sucker too (The Crystal oscillator / clock circuit is toast).. aah.. progress.

Cheers for your input.

Regards

Mike