External (FW or USB) soundboxe suggestions?

m00dawg

I've actually have quite a few pet projects, including an MB-6582, as well as wanting to build a MB64 to use as a standard MIDI mixer as well as a DJ console for Traktor. Trouble is, in order to do Traktor, I need to use my laptop (MacBook Pro particularly) and, if I do that, I might as well just switch over to using my Mac for music makins too.

Trouble is, it's a laptop so I need to get a firewire of USB breakout soundcard/box. But, jesus, these things are expensive. And I can't figure out why - I have 2 M-Audio Audiophile 2496 cards and they cost me like $60 (used) and $79. Breakout boxes seem to be pushing at least $300 and, in many cases, with fewer in/outs. I'm just not sure why, either.

So, long story short, does anyone have any suggestions on good FW/USB boxes that don't suck but also aren't so expensive I need to sell a kidney to pay for one? Hard task, I know :) I basically just need 4 inputs (2 stereo) and 2 outputs (for Traktor, one for headphones and one for mix out, as well as when doing audio bouncing). Having like 8 stereo inputs would be awesome so I could input all MBSID inputs but I can live without and do mixdown when I master if I had to.

Comments, good or bad, certainly appreciated :)

FW 410 seems a bit extreme. Who needs 10 outs with only 4 inputs? Or maybe I'm not getting it :) Good point on the suggestion though. I had previously looked at M-Audio and I guess didn't think to search anywhere else other then maudio.com for prices - I was able to find an FW 1814 for a good price:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-FireWire-1814-Computer-Recording-Interface?sku=709201

I think that might work, although I guess M-Audio stopped producing it as it's not on their Firewire page on the website and I ran into at least one review where the user had trouble getting to work on their Mac (*cough* I call PEBCAK *cough*).

I also have been recommended MOTU. It's weird. Their Firewire audio units are noticeable more expensive but their MIDI boxes (assuming I don't build a GM5x5) are noticeably cheaper than M-Audio.

*shrug*

Anyone have personal experiences with these guys? Are they worth the price?

Yeah those seem more economical. Thanks for the tip! I didn't realize Alesis, Edioral, or Tascam had firewire units. Guess I haven't been looking hard enough :P

I also found this guy, which is pretty tantalizing:

http://alesis.com/mastercontrol

That is pushing $800, but it looks like it would save me the need to lug around a MIDI mixer/control surface as well (for Traktor) and I could use it as a standard DAW/MIDI/audio mixer at home. As much as building my own mixer would be fun, this seems like a pretty good deal all things considered. Motofaders FTW, although I don't think I can swallow the $800 pricetag anytime soon.

A cheaper option though was this:

http://alesis.com/multimix8usb20

It doesn't have a MIDI mixer or anything like that but is much cheaper. Thing is, though, I heard USB audio devices suck hard (hence why they might be so cheap?) The firewire version isn't too much more, though.

Some things to think about anyway. Thanks for all the help everyone!