Wanted: CEM3394

nebula

Wow, that is pricey.  Technology Transplant was selling them on eBay 6/$99, but seems to have just raised the price to 6/$149 (OUCH).

These ICs appear to be remarkably easy to control ... did you know that the Sequential stuff (Six-Trak, Multi-Trak etc) uses only a single-channel DAC to control 6 of these buggers with no special s/h chips?

I thought it might be fun to control some with an AOUT, but the price seems a little stupid.

Thanks prof - but they're not the same thing.

CEM3372 = VCF

CEM3394 = VCO, VCF, VCA in one IC ... used in some Sequential stuff from the period (Six-Trak, Max, Split-Eight, Multi-Trak), and also in the Akai AX60, some others ... it was also used in several video arcade games as I understand it.

Thanks prof - but they're not the same thing.

CEM3372 = VCF

CEM3394 = VCO, VCF, VCA in one IC ... used in some Sequential stuff from the period (Six-Trak, Max, Split-Eight, Multi-Trak), and also in the Akai AX60, some others ... it was also used in several video arcade games as I understand it.

Sounds interesting, let us know some more about this when you get one up and running!

Thanks Stryd, but I've been planning to work on something 3394-based for a long time.  Now that I have AOUT working, I want to get busy!  My goal is to hack the MIDIbox SID code to work with the 3394.  In order to control multiple voices, I may still wait until MB-SID is mature on STM.  But even if only as spares for my Six-Trak, I'm ready to buy some 3394's now!

The 3396 is the voice of the Matrix-6 / Matrix-1000 and the Cheetah MS-6, so you'll probably get some cool stuff out of that too.  It looks like one of the key differences is that the 3394 is controlled with voltages while the 3396 is primarily controlled digitally.

Darn. I had a feeling it was a fairly specific requirement :(

If I can help with the software let me know!

How about HKSS? http://cgi.ebay.com/6x-sequential-circuits-six-track-multi-track-cem3394_W0QQitemZ300304042102QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090330?IMSfp=TL090330151005r20313

$150 for 6, shipped.....

Yeah, that seems to be the going *bay rate.  In the past hour I've actually found them individually from a local broker for less.  So I might be on the right track.

As for help with the software:  I'll bet you could be a huge help.  But I think this is going to be my MIDIbox coding baptism.  Since I've shown up here I've built only a couple of things, and I haven't yet touched a line of code, so this will be my chance to make something cool.  Be forewarned: once I get going I'll probably be asking for general help here in the forum, including some nasty n00b questions, so go easy on me! ;)

• 1 year later...