Cheap White/Blue Backlite Displays from Hongkong

Schrittmacher

Thanks for the tip Stryd, I just bought two 2x40 lcds with backlight for my upcoming Midibox LC

Much cheaper than online shops who sell them for circa 40€ each ...

Let's hope they don't get lost in the mail and that the seller is honest .

Last time I bought parts from ebay i never got them, and I finally got a refund from paypal after about 10 emails and 3 months. Maybe the prices were too attractive to be true

FYI the store is http://myworld.ebay.com/fcb_electronics/

It's strange he seems to get good reviews (I'm quite new at ebay)

Glad it helped :)

Well don't hate on that seller too hard, stuff goes missing in the mail all the time. I don't know why it took 3 months to get the refund though, you should have had paypal take care of it long before that. TBH that is probably partly some trouble you had because you were new... but it'll get better :)

You've dealt with fcb before ?

In fact paypal took a long time, and the seller didn't want to admit the package could have got lost.

It's in ebays/paypal interest to make people confident if they want their business model, they could have tried harder in this case. But I understand that for small amounts they don't give it much attention.

No I haven't, but this situation is common on ebay.

Paypal taking forever is also common...

If you want to be guaranteed the package will arrive, you have to pay for insurance. Shipping internationally goods over a certain value has a rule attached to it that the seller *must* charge that insurance. Insured packages are always tracked. For items which are uninsured/untracked, you are leaving it up to luck, and can't blame the seller if it never arrives. You're lucky you got a refund at all.

Ebay have a solid monopoly going, don't start to think that they care what you or anyone else thinks of them. :( The only thing in their interest is to make sure someone rich and powerful can't sue them. That's where it ends.

I have had 20+ LCDs off of FCB now and they have all been packed well and arrived in days from the US to the UK

Really sad to hear you had issues with them

I keep em bookmarked and always look in on em cause they always have good prices on stuff

Thats a sad turn of events

Flexi

Yes, I don't know what happened, either the package got lost in the mail or the customs stopped it but 'forgot' to send a notification they had the package to me. I was getting a little paranoid at the end, when I saw the site disappear then reappear several times, leaving me no possibility to leave an evaluation.

I find these phrases on the site a bit strange though:

Purchase at FCB only if you will leave ALL 5 stars DSR.

By necessity, any none 5 stars DSR giver will be blocked from future buying.

What's the point of having an evaluation system if the seller practically refuses it ?

Anyway, I'm glad to hear my case seems to be isolated

Edit: i finally received the package from fcb, 4 months after the order. Seems it's the post office/customs that should be blamed, so I gave him a refund of the refund  :o

Have people today that use all possibilities to make your online crimes.

In my country we have an online service similar to Ebay. In this service I have seen various types of thieves.

These thieves some times pay a small amount of money for the users of this service to make a good feedback to them. It is scary.

The most scary I have seen are people who use relationships networks creating fakes profiles to 'extract' all information from their victims to get their crimes.

Not to be paranoid but it has to be smart for those thieves in the digital age.

KB

• 2 weeks later...

Just to say I received the displays today, and that the delivery was quick and without a glitch

Lcdmodkit answered my email and gave me a tracking n°, which unfortunately is only valid inside HK, but it's still better than no tracking at all ..

I'll report when i get to test the displays, that is when i have the other components from reichelt ready, and etched the pcbs

Cheers,

Lorcan

I bought a 4x20 Display for 9.95$ from square-man on ebay. It´s HD44780 compatible and it only cost my 7$ to get it shipped with tracking. The tracking code from Hong Kong worked in the Danish postal service´ s tracking system just hours after i paid for the order. VERY nice :)

Just to say I received the displays today, and that the delivery was quick and without a glitch

Lcdmodkit answered my email and gave me a tracking n°, which unfortunately is only valid inside HK,

I ordered a soldering station from Hong Kong recently with tracking, and thought that the above was true also...

Upto yesterday, the tracking number wasnt recognized by my National Post Website,

but yesterday it arrived in Dublin, and the tracking did work .

if your Post Service is on that drop down list then yours will work too.

The Tracking Number obviously is only registered on the system when they actually recieve and scan the package.  :P

So keep trying it everyday to see if it arrived yet.

Good for you! :-)

My Postal Services is in the Dropdown-list.:-)  Thanks for the suggestion to try this every day! In the Meantime i thought that´s something going wrong with my tracking Number. But when you say that this only working when it´s arrived in my country, then i will be happy :-)

Happy Sunday....

I wanted to test the displays but the datasheet (http://www.lcdmodkit.com/specification/LKC-4002-B2.pdf) does not mention anything about led current / forward voltage.

I measured about 3V forward voltage for the leds b ramping up current (lowering resistor value), but I don't want to go to far and fry it. Unfortunately the brightness at the current I went to is low ...

Any ideas as to what I could do ?

Thanks

Lorcan