14 bit encoder input

Guest zoe

Hi!

I want to use the midibox to interface  quadrature encoders (inkremental drehgeber). It works fine with 7 bit but i would like to have a resolution of 14 bit. Is there a simple way to implement this with the midibox. Maybe with the pitchbend?

Thanks

zoe

Hi!

I want to use the midibox to interface  quadrature encoders (inkremental drehgeber). It works fine with 7 bit but i would like to have a resolution of 14 bit. Is there a simple way to implement this with the midibox. Maybe with the pitchbend?

Thanks  

zoe  

I'm sure you could encode it into pitchbend data ( I think LC does this) but your application or midi hardware wouldn't know how to interpret it unless it is compatible with such data... anyway, I don't really know, I'm just guessing  :-[

Hi,

yes, the hardware has to support 14-bit values. Most prefered are NRPNs or SysEx streams.

The realisation is simple, the enc_speed example is the smallest program which supports up to 16 bit, and it depends on the hardware in which way this number has to be transmitted.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Thorsten,

I am planning some kind of robotdevice, and need to read 14 (or16) bit, from standard encoders, and send them to the computer. (5 encoders total)

I did try this with the enc_speed example and it works nice. (but only sending to the LCD):

yes, the hardware has to support 14-bit values. Most prefered are NRPNs or SysEx streams.

what do i have to change in the code to get these values into the computer? And what is the best kind of stream (pitchbend, NRPNs or SysEx)?

And just that i have some kind of idea how fast i can move the encoder, how many ticks per second can the pic handle? Thats because i must know the position of my little encoders (robotaxis) very precisly.

Is this all possible with MIOS?

Thanks

chriss