MBFM running test tone and I am not getting tone at audio #4

Echopraxia

Hey everybody. I recent got audio out of my MBFM the first time and I was just hooking it up for testing purposes and got quiet audio of a garble sound. I want to know if this is normal sound. Now before you come to conclusions. I have a pic 18f4620 in there right now which I still need to swap out and I ran my audio jack to the ground and the audio leads (i.e out_1) directly on the opl3 board unlike what the schem suggests. Can these two issues change things dramatically?

Attached is the sound on a mp3 file.

MBFM continuous audio coming out.mp3

MBFM continuous audio coming out.mp3

Well I loaded the mbfm hex onto the core and I still get the same consistent sound. I assume the quietness is from the unproper grounding @ out_1 of the opl3 board and the problem might be with the pic,crystal or chips. The Tl074s I believe are fine. I didn't install them untill I was getting +12v at pin 4+11. If I soldered the crystal the wrong way can it damage the unit or the crystal? My chips seem to have good solder joints but maybe I need to recheck with magnifier. I am going to get a little macro cam for a Mother's Day gift and take some close-ups of my board :P Its for the kids honey! I swear! 8)

Please see original post for attached sound file.

One other thing to mention was that I blew a fuse on my power strip when reverse wiring my +12v,-12v power supply to the power strip :o Of course I stupidly had the core plugged into the same power strip and I may have had the 5v running to the opl3 board. My core module still seems to work fine. I just thought I might point that out. Next time when I connect a power supply to wall I should test the cable end thats coming out of the wall first. :)

It sounds more like a heavy digital noise (btw, cool name for a band:), than a testtone, but I can't compare it, cause my mbfm can't speak right now. Better slow down, check all your connections between core and opl3 once more and try again.

check all your connections between core and opl3 once more and try again.

Thats what I forgot to do before I started posting all these assumptions:P

I just got a nifty little macro cam to take close ups to document my MBFM mission so others can see what to do and what not to do.

Regards,

echo

Alright. I don't get the garbled audio sound anymore but now I don't get any audio using the test tone app.  >:(

I could still hear a ground hum coming from the audio jack. So I will check my wiring from opl3 to underside of core's pic again but I think its right.

Can maybe the audio not attached to the power supply ground cause no audio? I thought audio would still come out but just have extra hum.

Are there any pic pins I should check voltages on?

Will post pictures of underside of core later tonight.

regards,

echo

I suggest doing some continuity tests on YAC's and YMF, because it looks like some legs are covered with solder but I am not sure if they're all soldered to the pads. Maybe pour some flux and re-heat them, just to be sure. And read this post that covers running MBFM on PIC18F4620, cause you may have to upload MIOS designed for another PIC to get the whole thing working.

I have the right pic. I should try it at this point. There is solder on all of the pads for sure. Just some of the pads are not completely drenched in it. how do you check for continuity?

Set your multimeter to Resistance, i.e. The Ohm Symbol.

The lower the reading, means the less resistance there is for the current to pass through, indicating a short between the two probes, if youre testing for shorts that is.

(im guessing, i just use a beeper and dont look at the ohm reading!)

Some multimeters have a beeper function, so you dont have to look at the LCD to see if you have current passing between the probes.

Well I tried the correct pic 18f452 loaded with the test tone app and I still get a very faint hum and No test tone. Not even the garbled sound that I posted previously. I am fearing that now there may be something damaged or I soldered wrong pads on the underside of the core pic pins. Can some one point me in the right direction. Should I try 4 bit mode lcd? Would I wire the lcd with half as many pins or something to free up the core's pins for j2 of opl3? Can you guys take a look at the 3rd picture down that shows the whole core connected to the opl3 and tell me if I soldered the wires to the correct orientation. And then the last picture with the crystal. I couldn't understand the schem for the crystal and which one is the hot pin. There is small line on the crystal at the bottom left of the last picture. I assumed this was the hot pin.

Any suggestions as where to check for certain voltages?

Regards,

echo

There's an interconnection test app. Upload it and make a test as described in .txt file. Don't wire your LCD in 4bit mode. As far as I knnw it's reserved for 4620's and 4685's. And good luck since my mbfm doesn't make a sound either.

Well I found out it was my ymf262 that exploded. I took out my only remaining one and soldered that one on and now it works! The test tone apprears to play just fine. except that now I don't hear anything come out of audio out #4. I looked at the schem and see that it goes to the last tl074's I3- and 03 pins. Where do those pins go after that? I am trying to see if maybe one of my yac512s got screwed in the destruction of reverse wiring my 12v power supply and having the core connected to the same power strip as the 12v and the opl3 board was connected to the 5v from the core when it happened.

So I am happy for now.

But I had some solder pads come off of the opl3 pcb where the ymf262 goes.(a few of them >:() I put some solder on all the ymf262 pins still but I am not sure if I may still need to  run some direct wiring from ymf262 to components? So I am hoping that I can trace down where the last tl074's I3- and 03 pins go to do voltage checks of the audio out #4.

Regards,

echo

Ok tested test tone app and got an audio signal. Now I loaded mbfm app and get no audio. Jsynthlib app was able to change the name of the patch on the core's lcd. I think it might be the ymf262 solder pads still might need direct wire connections to components. I would assume that I got audio because only a certain pin gets triggered on the ymf262 in the test tone app. But in the mbfm app more ymf262 pins are needed for control of audio. Is this a good assumption? I will try to solder wire tomorrow. If there might be something else to try let me know.

regards,

echo