SID tracker programs

davotron

Hi Guys,

This kinda goes back to my previous direct SID control question (I realised since it is quite possible to hook up a SID to a parallel port or serial interface and control it that way, if one was so inclined!).  How cool would it be to have a MBSID parameter specific tracker (with three columns, one for each oscillator) that could talk to a core32 and SID directly over OSC or a direct USB protocol...  failing this has anyone had any joy with a program like Renoise in playing SID music with a whole load of midi events?  I find renoise is complicated.. cool but complicated.  It almost defeats what made a tracker so good: that one could sequence SID music and play it "directly" on the machine (much like other trackers on the Atari ST and Amiga 500).

You might be able to run an original C64 tracker in an emulator that supports hardware SIDs and get some mileage out of that.

It appears that VICE has support for hardware SIDs.  Also I think I've read that MIDIBox SID supports the ASID protocol (though I've not seen instructions on how to use this or set this up, but I've not really looked into it yet).  I'm getting close to finishing my MB-6582 and I'm interested in playing .SID files through it so I may look into this in the next few weeks.

Ah yes, ASID.. cheers, will have a look at this.  I love the idea of having a tracker that has exclusive MBSID parameters though as the thing is so damn powerful compared to existing SID based synthersisers.  Of course you could just use something like Renoise and just set up three tracks for the three SID oscillators and assign CC parameters to all the MBSID params..

oiy :! im acctuly working on something like this.. or maybe not... but i chose to integrate a Asus EEE PC 900 into my MBSIDv2 and then im programming a software in max/msp to sequence and manipulate the MBSIDv2...(and to some synth and sampling with max/msp) i've not done much on the software only a few demos to test the most basic.. as im trying to finish my build.

spaceman_inprogress.jpg

i've made a touch screen mod on the eee pc and its just hooked up with midi/usb inside the case.. and i might be able to power the hole thing from the motherboard of the eee pc..  i will post some thing more later... this is just my crazy build hacked together with what i know. im no expert.. but i will enjoy my galaxy controller .:// but its kinda what your talking about. ? or could be possible with this setup.

Man, being able to use MBSID as 'traditional C64' hardware unit controlled by a tracker-like software is a dream of mine... and it's the only feature that MBSID really is missing.. if you ask me ;) This is why i initially bought a MSSIAH cartridge.

Using the ASID protocol might be a lovely solution (though it has some small problems with some sid-files/features still) if anyone should ever feel that programming a tracker interface with a simple 'instrument editor' then i hope they'll be able to make use of more than just one SID ;)

I kinda gave up on this as i figured the best solution were to program some special MIOS stuff to replace the traditional MBSID firmware, so it is able to change instruments and stuff fast enough to work...  but i would be first in line for testing and suggesting features!

wilba: its a case mod on Amiga 600 case. i will post some pictures and story of my build soon, in my "joes midibox" thread :0)

the communications so far...  i've tested the implanted CC for the lead engine and some sysex. that was my main thought, things seem pretty available via sysex.. but iv'e not done much research yet..

im kinda up for anything as i did not start on the programming yet, so if you know away around stuff thats kool... lets talk about it.. the ASID protocol?

im gonna do  most programming in max/msp as this a syntax im very familiar with.. i dont know about the ASID protocol but this could maybe be ported to max/msp if one build an external object.

It may be worth looking at the Core32 and using the OSC protocol over ethernet... or even ASID this way.  Core32 has a USB port also. 

I'm sure midi would work though, it just feels a bit clunky to have all those CC params, less slick as it were than a more direct and faster software control.