Program Midibox using another midicontroller as USB>Midi convert

MONSTA

As it says on the tin. I currently don't have a USB to MIDI cable like the MIDIMate interface, but will buy one if thats the best option (I went to get one today but they were out of stock). Could I instead use one of my existing controllers? A XOne1D, M-Audio Axiom25 keyboard or the Audio8DJ sound card. Then use their MIDI IN/OUT to program my Midibox64?

I'm waiting on the GM5 orders to finish the project, but in the mean time I'd like to see if I've screwed the Core module up or not :)

If I should get something like the MIDIMate then I'll order one straight away so I can get going with the programming side of things.

Thanks for any help

Niietzshe

If it's just a "till I get the gm5 done" solution, check the blacklist and get the cheapest interface that's not on it - obviously it's not guaranteed that it'll work, but even if it doesn't you won't waste lots of money on something you might only use for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for your reply, i'll check the blacklist.

But can I not just use say my Audio Interface which has Midi IN/OUT and connects to my computer through USB as a MIDI>USB converter or will the fact that it's a device in itself screw things up? I haven't managed to get to the MIOS yet as this is my first time and I'm just finishing building the core now, so sorry if it's a stupid question.

Thanks

Niietzshe

MOST M-Audio stuff will work, but only after you change a setting.

The way they ship, the MIDI ports connect to the device itself, but if you change a setting, it will pass the MIDI connections to the IN and OUT ports on the back of the gear.

From the manual:

When installed, the Axiom appears as a simple MIDI device with two input ports and one output port. You should select the first

listed Axiom input port as the MIDI input device in your software. Once this is set, your software should be able to receive notes

and controller data from the Axiom.

If you have connected external MIDI gear like a drum machine or another keyboard to your Axiom’s MIDI IN port, this gear can

be interfaced to the computer by selecting the second listed Axiom input port. This way, your Axiom is acting as a MIDI to USB

interface.

It is also possible to stream data from your computer to external MIDI gear connected to the MIDI OUT port of your Axiom—

effectively a USB to MIDI interface. To do this, you should select the Axiom output device in your software. Note that some other

steps are necessary to make this work that will be fully explained later in this manual.

\

Later in the manual..

MIDI Out from USB can be used to switch the source of the MIDI data seen at the MIDI Out port of your Axiom.

On initial power up, MIDI Out from USB mode is off. This means that as you play your Axiom, MIDI data will be sent to the MIDI

Out port.

If you turn MIDI Out From USB mode on, playing your Axiom will no longer send data to the MIDI Out port. The data is instead

streamed from the computer. So, as long as you have selected your Axiom as the active output port in your computer’s sequencer,

this is the data that will be sent the MIDI Out port.

For example, if you want to control a sound module from your Axiom, you should ensure MIDI Out from USB remains off. If you want

the sound module to play data streamed from your computer however, then you should turn MIDI Out from USB on and ensure that

the output port for your Axiom is selected as the computer’s MIDI output device (this is done in your computer software).

To control MIDI out from USB mode:

49- and 61-note versions:

< Press Data 2 and Data 3 together to change the MIDI Out setting to MIDI Out from USB.

< You will see a MIDI plug symbol appear on the LCD display.

< To turn MIDI Out from USB mode back off, press the same button combination again. When you do this, the MIDI

plug symbol disappears.

25-note version:

< Press the Advanced button.

< Press the MIDI Out key to activate MIDI Out from USB.

< You will see a MIDI plug symbol appear on the LCD display.

< To turn MIDI Out from USB mode back off, repeat these steps. When you do this, the MIDI plug symbol

disappears.

All this is straight from your owners manual. If you look there you'll also see some pictures that I didn't post.

Have Fun,

LyleHaze