How do I clean out faders?

unrise_lyrical

Hey all,

So I picked up one of the old Niche Automation Stations for cheap today. Its pretty rough around the edges...previous owner must have smoked like a chimney...the case still wreaks of cigarettes after washing it twice. Anyway, 3 of the 16 faders dont work (was aware of this before purchasing) and I want to find out if they are busted...or just too dirty and need a clean...ALL of them are filthy. How do you clean faders? they are soldered onto the PCB so I cant really go opening them up...but is there anything you can spray inside to clean them out?

thanks guys.

EDIT: forgot to mention...they are alpha faders.

i usually use servisol cleaner on mine, it comes witha nice thin tube to go it the end of the spray cap and then into the faders, i then run the faders back and fore a few times and also if need be and i cant take the fader apart i will inset a fine tipped bud soaked in servisol or isoproyl and wipe the tracks a few times until the tips are clean when rubbed.

thnis is there will still be crud on the contacts that are attatched to the fader stem, so at some point i just unsolder them take them apart and really give them a good clean.

so I really would be better off de-soldering these and pulling them apart?

Absolutely! Not doing so is not cleaning but just smearing the dirt around.

Alps recommends to clean the taper with alcohol. This recommandation is for plastic taper. AFAIK, Alpha doesn't produce any plastic taper faders. I think alcohol (aethanol) or isopropylalcohol works for carbon taper just fine.

How about just replacing those cheap faders?

Greets, Roger

The more I look at this...the more I think that there are too many bugs in this midi controller :(

... the more you look at it or the more you read about it from others?  ;)

Don't depend too much on the opignons of others. There is propably no other business than audio business where more bullsh... is talked and called out to the world, without having the necessary knowhow to even open the mouth  :P

Greets, Roger

hahaha, I have to say you are wrong there mate. I used to be into modified cars...NOWHERE is there more bullshit talked than in cars...tis why I got out of it...it was pathetic.

Nah, there are too many little things wrong with the midi controller....3 of the faders dont work....one of them only works intermitently (sp?) and there is some weird issue with it's power....if you switch it on and contantly move a control...its fine...but as soon as it sits there idle for more than 30 seconds...the screen starts flickering and it sort of freezes...dont know if its a problem with the power supply, or with a (id assume?) capacitor or something? building up too much power? that was my guess...if you are constantly doing something it is using juice...but if it lets it build up it goes funny.

The way I have been thinking about it is this. To want to use this live, I really would want to either FULLY clean out, or replace, all the faders. There is still a chance 3 wont work...and even after all that...the power issue may still be an issue. AND the resolution. Instead though, I could quite easilly use it's case and put a midibox64 inside...customise it a bit....put in some pots.....just seems like I could make it a hell of a lot better! will obviously cost alot more money...but I will end up with something I actually want to use :)