caps for tactile switches

cantgetnosleep

Hello all,

So I'm looking at building a MIDIBox64 and between the mu-caps website and this forum everything seems pretty clear--except one thing (so far, at least). What are most people doing for caps for the tactile switches? And how are the caps attached to the switches? Glued? Snap on?

Is caps even what they are called? I tried searching the forum but didn't find much on this topic.

I'll probably be using ALPS SKHHDTA010 tactile switches, but I'm open to suggestions.

Many thanks for the help.

Andrew

you might find something interesting here:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,12720.0.html

the small pcb mount tactile switches you probably mean are available in different forms: in different length and with a square shaped button instead of the round one. these are the ones you can put 'caps' on top.

there are also digital switches that do not require any caps (the ones Mike sells): the coloured buttons TK uses on the original SEQ, FM etc on www.uCApps.de

Thanks for the link to the thread. Yeah, I meant the small, PCB-mount tact switches. But that's not to say that I'm not open to suggestions r/ other switches, if they're reasonably cheap.

Do people just source the caps from Mouser or Digikey? I didn't find a ton on their website, but I didn't do an exhaustive search. Can you mix and match the caps, or do you have to buy caps from the same manufacturer for the specific switch?

Cheers - Andrew

most tact switches and caps are relative to the manufacturer, this being that the assembly will have specific mount points etc.

there are a plethora of switch manufactureres out there who will if need be sell to you directly all you have to do is give them a call.

here is the details of one called apem, they also do knobs  and keypads amoungst many things.

take a look and see whats there, and if you see what you want try calling them and sales see what they can do, problem is rs, cpc and farnell do not stock thier complete range.

http://www.apem.co.uk/default.htm