Are there any companies that make customized MIDI keyboards from the bottom up?

Green Xenon

Hi:

Are there any companies that make customized MIDI keyboards from scratch? If so, how much would they cost?

I asked because I would like a new SY99 keyboard. I like AFM [Advanced Frequency Modulation] synthesis and SY99 is the most advanced keyboard that uses it.

I've checked throughout the internet for sale of SY99, all of them are "used". I don't trust used products. I prefer that they be "not used". Pretty much all keyboards using AFM synthesis are available as "used" only.

Is there anyone out there who I can hire to build me an SY99 keyboard from the bottom-up? Will the cost be reasonable?

Or I am better off learning AFM synthesis myself and then building my own AFM keyboard?

Thanks a bunch,

Green

well should you be able to find a NOS SY99 it surely will cost more than a used one -IF you can find something like that.

you can always have built all you need at a reasonable price, which may be very very high...

if you're sure to need the SY99 in my opinion it would be the cheapest way to buy a used one from ebay or where you find one and give a few bucks or a box of beer to some good friend so they can open it and clean it everywhere for you. that way you would not be forced to get in contact with whatever there may be attached to it.

but i think a custom built (means new, handcrafted) will be the most expensive ever.

well should you be able to find a NOS SY99 it surely will cost more than a used one -IF you can find something like that.

you can always have built all you need at a reasonable price, which may be very very high...

if you're sure to need the SY99 in my opinion it would be the cheapest way to buy a used one from ebay or where you find one and give a few bucks or a box of beer to some good friend so they can open it and clean it everywhere for you. that way you would not be forced to get in contact with whatever there may be attached to it.

but i think a custom built (means new, handcrafted) will be the most expensive ever.

If I want it new but inexpensive, is my best bet to build it myself? Would this be less expensive than having someone else custom-building it?

DIY != cheap. Especially when trying to clone a complete and rather complex system.

New != cheap.

From the quick look I had on eBay they seem to be going ~500eur. I strongly doubt you can build one for that price. Buying a used one, have it cleaned for a case of beer or some bucks is your best choice imo.

I'm a bit confused.. (Anyone who knows me will agree)

The topic says you want to have a new keyboard built, but the thread says you are most interested in an AFM Synthesizer.

Perhaps the best way to get what you want is to buy two separate devices.

Buy a (used, older) AFM synth that has all the sounds you want, then control it from a new keyboard that is whatever size, shape, and key action that you are most comfortable with.

Because the synth is not getting all the abuse, it will probably last forever, and you get the bonus of choosing the keyboard you want. If you want a "special" control surface to tweak the synth settings, get the tech manual for the synth and build what you want with a Midibox.

I thought the original purpose of MIDI was to allow the separation of keyboards and synths, so that the performers onstage would not get lost behind a dozen keyboards.

Just thinking.

LyleHaze

[edit] there is a "lightly used" TG-77 on E-Bay for $300. It is the rackmount version of the SY-99.

That seems like the best way to get what you want.. and you get to choose your key action!

I'm a bit confused.. (Anyone who knows me will agree)

The topic says you want to have a new keyboard built, but the thread says you are most interested in an AFM Synthesizer.

Perhaps the best way to get what you want is to buy two separate devices.

Buy a (used, older) AFM synth that has all the sounds you want, then control it from a new keyboard that is whatever size, shape, and key action that you are most comfortable with.

Because the synth is not getting all the abuse, it will probably last forever, and you get the bonus of choosing the keyboard you want. If you want a "special" control surface to tweak the synth settings, get the tech manual for the synth and build what you want with a Midibox.

I thought the original purpose of MIDI was to allow the separation of keyboards and synths, so that the performers onstage would not get lost behind a dozen keyboards.

Just thinking.

LyleHaze

[edit] there is a "lightly used" TG-77 on E-Bay for $300. It is the rackmount version of the SY-99.

That seems like the best way to get what you want.. and you get to choose your key action!

This is the ebay page selling TG-77 -- http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-TG-77-TG-77-Rackmount-Synth-Module-MINT_W0QQitemZ290328825239QQcmdZViewItemQQptZKeyboards_MIDI?hash=item4398f24d97&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

If you look at the images, you'll see two slots on the bottom-right of the front of the TG77 module -- these slots are "data" and "waveform". What are these slots for? Can they store MIDI files?

...One voice card slot and one wave data card slot are included to allow

instant storage and access to voices, sequences and samples...

External Storage:

3.5" disk drive

Card slot for Voice parameter

Card slot for waveform data