DIN trouble on MIOS / PIC18F452-I/P

ilmenator

Hi all,

first of all, I'm a bit frustrated, because I cannot get to work the DIN module with my MIOS v1.3 PIC 18F452-I/P. I will try to describe what I've done so far, any hint is greatly appreciated.

1) I burnt the bootstrap using the JDM programmer and ICprog software. Verify said everything was okay.

2) I uploaded MIOS v1.3 via MIDI-Ox. A 2x40 display connected to the core says "MIOS v1.3", "© 2003 T. Klose", so I guess everything is okay here as well.

3) I uploaded encoder example 3. The display reads "ENC Example 3", so everything should work okay.

4) I connect the DIN module to J9. I connect the encoders to the module. I power on the PIC, turn the encoder - nothing.

5) I measure the supply voltage on the 74HC165 - the meter says 4.88 V, which should be okay. To rule out a non-working encoder, I shortened one of the encoder connectors to the neighbouring ground pin - nothing.

6) I exchanged the 74HC165 for another chip - nothing.

7) I burned another PIC, uploaded MIOS and encoder Test program, put it into the socket of that board - you guess right, nothing.

Now, what I would like to know is, which part of the circuit I should take another (seventh to eighth to ninth) look at? Of course I did the usual double checking for shorts or missing links on both the core board and the DIN board, but I *think* I did everything right. I would be extremely grateful if there was some kind soul out there who could point me to some other things I could look for - I am plain running out of clues here. Sigh.

Thanks so much - this forum is great, and the project even more. Hopefully I will get it to work too...

Best regards, ilmenator

Hello :)

Ok let me see if I can help you troubleshoot!

I would try to upload different programs especially the AIN_DIN_DOUT. With the AIN_DIN_DOUT you should be able to test the DIN by just grounding a pin, see a midi message in MIDI-OX, and even check a DOUT if you are using one to verify that the shift registers are working properly. If this works you know the shift registers are wired correctly.

Did you see the ready message after you uploaded MIOS?

When you upload an application does it say

Rebooting MIOS........? and send the startup string?

I had a problem with my system restarting, and being unstable, you could also try the CRC program to test if your MIOS is having problems. This helped me to troubleshoot my own circuit. Thanks Thorsten!!!!! :)

I would suggest trying the other apps out and jogging some info down, then let me know if you are still stuck

Good Luck Ilmenator!!! :)

-Sephult

Hi Sephult,

thanks for your comments!

AIN_DIN_DOUT gives me a lot of AIN messages, I think because the analogue inputs are not grounded. Do I need to change the code to change that or can I just ground some pins on the PIC board (I do not have a AIN board)?

I did see the "READY." message after uploading MIOS. But when I upload an application there is no Rebooting MIOS message, I have to restart the PIC by powering off and on again. Then there is the application's welcome message as you would expect after the MIOS message.

By the way, CRC application gives me a value of FD45. Does that provide any information?

So in other words I'm still stuck  :-[

Thanks a lot, ilmenator

Hi Ilmenator,

FD45 is the correct checksum of the current MIOS version, so the OS is complete.

You could change following lines:

;; use 64 pots
        movlw   64
        call    MIOS_AIN_NumberSet

;; use the AIN 4051 multiplexers
        call    MIOS_AIN_Muxed
to
        ;; use no pots
        movlw   0
        call    MIOS_AIN_NumberSet

in order to disable the analog inputs.

it's very strange that the PIC is not rebooted after the upload. Are you receiving acknowledge messages during the transfer?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Thorsten,

I get some F0 00 00 7E 40 00 0F 61 F7 (about 17 times) and then after the second block of sysex data it's like 16 times F0 00 00 7E 40 00 0F 2D F7 for the AIN_DIN_DOUT application when MIDI buffer size is set to 256 bytes (I also tried any other sizes from this to 2048 ). I used various MIDI interfaces, this time upload is done via a MIDISPORT 4x4. My Yamaha USB interface does not work :-(

I will try to change the code for the AIN_DIN_DOUT application as you suggestetd.

Thanks a lot, ilmenator

Okay,

I kicked out the AIN part. Now if I temporarily shortcut pin D7 with Vs on J3 of the DIN board, I get a huge number of MIDI messages in MIDI-Ox, which do not seem right to me... it's like:

TIMESTAMP PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT               
 000CC0BF    9     B0    60    7F    1   --  CC: Data Increment    
 000CC0C2    9     B0    61    7F    1   --  CC: Data Decrement    
 000CC0C5    9     B0    62    7F    1   --  CC: NRPN LSB          
 000CC0C7    9     B0    63    7F    1   --  CC: NRPN MSB          
 000CC0CA    9     B0    64    7F    1   --  CC: RPN LSB           
 000CC0CD    9     B0    65    7F    1   --  CC: RPN MSB           
 000CC0CF    9     B0    66    7F    1   --  Control Change        
 000CC0D2    9     B0    67    7F    1   --  Control Change        
 000CC0D5    9     B0    68    7F    1   --  Control Change        
 000CC0D8    9     B0    69    7F    1   --  Control Change        
 000CC0DA    9     B0    6A    7F    1   --  Control Change        
 000CC0DD    9     B0    6B    7F    1   --  Control Change        
 000CC0E0    9     B0    6C    7F    1   --  Control Change        
 000CC0E3    9     B0    6D    7F    1   --  Control Change        
 000CC0E5    9     B0    6E    7F    1   --  Control Change        
 000CC0E8    9     B0    6F    7F    1   --  Control Change        
 000CC0EB    9     B0    70    7F    1   --  Control Change        
 000CC0EE    9     B0    71    7F    1   --  Control Change        
 000CC0F0    9     B0    72    7F    1   --  Control Change        
 000CC0F3    9     B0    73    7F    1   --  Control Change        
 000CC0F6    9     B0    74    7F    1   --  Control Change        
 000CC0F8    9     B0    75    7F    1   --  Control Change        
 000CC0FB    9     B0    76    7F    1   --  Control Change        
 000CC0FE    9     B0    77    7F    1   --  Control Change        
 000CC101    9     B0    78    7F    1   --  CC: All Sound Off     
 000CC103    9     B0    79    7F    1   --  CC: Reset Cntrl       
 000CC106    9     B0    7A    7F    1   --  CC: Local Cntrl       
 000CC109    9     B0    7B    7F    1   --  CC: All Notes Off     

In fact, there's many more lines like this. I would expect one controller to change, not the controller numbers themselves...

Quite frustrated, ilmenator

it looks like a problem with the shift clock (the SC line which goes to all 74HC165 CLK inputs) - if this signal isn't available, the first register will switch all 128 input functions at the same time.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thorsten,

you are my HERO!

Your analysis was so right - pin 22 of the PIC wasn't connected to SC on J4 but to SD. Therefore I did not have any SC signal on J9 either. Excellent!  ;D

I feel a bit like a goof, though; actually all of my core boards did have that mistake, because the first boards were built for the MIDI filter project without any DIN or DOUT, and the error slipped through unnoticed. The other boards were just "copied" from those first.

Thanks again to Thorsten and Sephult - long live the spirit of this forum  ;D  ;D  ;D

ilmenator

Hey Thorsten!!! I wonder if the problem I had with the LCD and stability could be a cause for MIOS not rebooting? Could be worth a try.

Hey LO!  

Could you try something for me? Try adding a 100 ohm resistor to the LCD contrast 5v pin. I had stability problems originally, and maybe this will help the reboot problem you are having. :)

Let me know if there is any difference :)

-Sephult

• 2 years later...

Thorsten,

you are my HERO!

Your analysis was so right - pin 22 of the PIC wasn't connected to SC on J4 but to SD. Therefore I did not have any SC signal on J9 either. Excellent!  ;D

Hi everybody,

after a few years off I am catching up again  ;D, re-activated all my old boards and so on.

As I am currently having a number of problems with a GLCD I double checked all information on this website, including my old postings, again.

When I compare Thorsten's statement in this thread with the instructions in the PDF about the core module, I detect a little difference: in the PDF it says that J4 SC should be connected to pin #28 on 18F cores, only to #22 on 16F cores. Above, T said to connect it to #22 also on 18F cores.

So: has there been any hardware change in the meantime that I did not notice?

Thanks, ilmenator