SIDBox FrontPanel Design Idea - makes sense?

nILS

Hi everybody!

I just finished the first sketch of the frontpanel for my SIDBox. It's basically the StepC idea with some changes that seem more ergonomic to me. But hey, that's just my opinion, what do y'all think about it? It's gonna be a print-out, laminate and stick on type of panel.

sid.gif

:) Greets,

fossi.bs

I also like the colours and the alternative arrangement.

Just two hints:

the rotary encoder beside of the LCD shouldn't be called "scroll", the function is more like a datawheel. It is used to scroll through the menues, but especially to change the values. Only one button should be placed below of this data wheel, it is used to switch between the "change parameter" and "scroll menu" function.

The alternative function of the envelope section is not the same like for the oscillator section (Transpose, Finetune, ...), it's also a free configurable layer.

Btw.: by default this alternative layer is assigned to the menu parameters. This means: you can change the 5 parameters which are visible on screen. I noticed that this feature is especially usefull when editing WT sequences, by scrolling to the correct menu position you are able to use one encoder for the sequencer position, one for the play mode, the three others for the CC values/Note/Arpeggiator key numbers :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: the MIDIbox SID provides also a polyphonic mode

the rotary encoder beside of the LCD shouldn't be called "scroll"

I know, I just couldn't come up with anything more suitable =)

The alternative function of the envelope section is not the same like for the oscillator section

That's what happens if you copy-paste =) My bad.

P.S.: the MIDIbox SID provides also a polyphonic mode

True, I just wanted something to fill the place. It's going to read something like "µCApps MidiBox Sid" later on =)

"Ehre, wem Ehre gebührt"

Danke für die Antwort!

very minor suggestions:

line up your filter knobs with your osc knobs, and your lfo knobs with your env knobs.  your finished box will look much nicer when viewed from the side.

re the "scroll" title on that knob... personally i just wouldn't label it.

i think your use of colours and fonts is excellent.  very nicely designed.

Thanks for the reply. I actually noticed, that the buttons don't line up, too. Gotta fix that.

BUT, since I'm not quite sure what kind of case I will put the entire thing in, I've already created some more layouts for various cases. That would be a aluminium suit-case, a 19" rack, a destop unit,...

I think I'll basically use the ROLAND layout, though. You know, the one they used for their XP-Series. That layout is just awesome and very easy to read and perfectly ergonomic  ;D

*oh, I'm drifting off*