MB-6582 LCD questions

dubka

Is it just my build or is the lcd set quite far back from the front panel, leaving a noticeable "hole"?

And the cs switches are making direct contact with the pads on the lcd.  Am I doing something wrong?

Also, what sort of screws are you using to fix the lcd to cs pcb?

I've found everything about the MB-6582 quite well documented, except fitting the lcd.

Cheers,

Martin

Is it just my build or is the lcd set quite far back from the front panel, leaving a noticeable "hole"?

And the cs switches are making direct contact with the pads on the lcd.  Am I doing something wrong?

I've found everything about the MB-6582 quite well documented, except fitting the lcd.

Cheers,

Martin

I think you are pretty much right. I used a strip of tape to separate them. M2.5 screws fit perfectly, but M2 works too.

No, that's normal. I put a piece of 3mm slightly tinted acrylic in between the panel and LCD. You can cut it roughly because you don't see the edges.

I thought I wrote to solder them from the top and cut the leads close to the PCB. Use sticky tape or card to insulate.

2mm or 2.5mm screws.

I nominate you to update the documentation to share what you've learned. :)

I'm allowed to do that?!  One thing I would definitely update is the "optional" on the transistors.

Anyway, do you mean to solder the lcd leads on the panel side?  Or to solder the switches on the base side?

Sorry for the possibly obvious questions but this stuff is too expensive for me to just guess.

Solder the switch leads (and any others like diodes) that overlap the LCD from the top side, this lets you cut the lead on the bottom side as close to the PCB as possible.

Solder wires to the LCD from the bottom side, flat against the pads, not through the hole.

Solder them using a reheating technique... strip and tin the wire, add a blob of solder to the pad, then put wire onto blob and reheat with iron.

D'oh!

I never thought of soldering wires that way!

And there was me melting the insulation all along thinking it was the only way!

You learn something new everyday i spose! :)

Check out these pictures from my build: http://picasaweb.google.com/fussylizard/MB6582?authkey=Gv1sRgCM7npqbPgvbfYA&feat=directlink#

I have a few dedicated to how I mounted the LCD.  I also have one that shows the wires soldered to the bottom of the LCD (though I should probably show a more detailed version of this).  I should probably get around to posting a link to these pictures somewhere... :-)

I have lots of notes and such I still need to post from my build, such as an "additional" parts list for all the extra nuts, bolts, female DIL headers, etc. that I need to post since it took me (IIRC) 2 orders from SmashTV, 3 or 4 orders from McMaster-Carr, and 2 or 3 orders from Mouser to get everything.  I could have probably figured it all out had I thought about it more, but there were some things that I just wasn't sure about or forgot about.  It would probably be helpful to others to see all this extra stuff to augment Wilba's already excellent instructions.

Hopefully I'll get to that after I finish up running the 40x2 LCD bulk order...