ClockBox or MidiMasterClock with audio metronome

audiomobster

• 3 months later...

-Every Clock-

is a very frequent event.

I would find every 24th clock (or every 96th, depending on the resolution) would be more useful..

If you output a MIDI event, you get the option of selecting the sound, I usually use something from a drumkit.

Have Fun,

LyleHaze

>I would find every 24th clock (or every 96th, depending on the resolution) would be more useful..

Yep what I mean.

>If you output a MIDI event, you get the option of selecting the sound, I usually use something from a drumkit.

It outputs MIDI events all the time. What you mean?

Regards

Uli

>I would find every 24th clock (or every 96th, depending on the resolution) would be more useful..

Yep what I mean.

>If you output a MIDI event, you get the option of selecting the sound, I usually use something from a drumkit.

It outputs MIDI events all the time. What you mean?

Regards

Uli

The clockbox keeps time, but a synth makes sounds..

Why make sounds from the clockbox?

Every beat (that's usually every 24 or 96 clocks) send the following MIDI bytes:

0x99 0x32 0x64

Send those out a MIDI port that's connected to a synthesizer.

Change the second byte to choose a different metronome sound

Change the third byte to change the metronome volume

It's WAY easier than teaching your clockbox to make sounds.

Have Fun,

LyleHaze

Why make sounds from the clockbox?

Yea I could do it by MIDI events and with a synth, but that wasn't my intention. I don't want to spend an additional output channel, a voice of my synth's and maybe a mixer strip or even money for an extra synthesizer for just a metronome.

For me as a drummer this feature seems to be missing. I think a metronome fits very well into the clockbox.

Wouldn't the simple solution be connecting the 24ppqn signal at CORE::J14 to a shift register for counting clocks and quarters and then to the isd2560

Happy new year

audio-mobster

Edited by audio-mobster

Yea I could do it by MIDI events and with a synth, but that wasn't my intention. I don't want to spend an additional output channel, a voice of my synth's and maybe a mixer strip or even money for an extra synthesizer for just a metronome.

For me as a drummer this feature seems to be missing. I think a metronome fits very well into the clockbox.

Wouldn't the simple solution be connecting the 24ppqn signal at CORE::J14 to a shift register for counting clocks and quarters and then to the isd2560

Happy new year

audio-mobster

Your reply has me grinning from ear to ear.

One of the great strengths of this community is the diverse thinking of it's members.

What you describe will work, no doubt.. but is it the "simple" solution?

Instead of editing the code that is actually counting the time, you would rather pick up a hardware output and feed it into a hardware counter?

That will work, but you'll also have to add synchronization signals to reset the counter when the clockbox is reset to zero.

And if it is set to something OTHER than zero, your counter will be out of synch.

And instead of using a synthesizer to create the audio signal that you want, you would rather design and build your own audio sampler from a chip level?

Sure, absolutely. It CAN work. And it sounds like a fun project. Designing a sample playback device would be a great addition to the other projects we have here. But you must admit, it's a lot of design work to give your metronome a click.

Maybe I could suggest a different option... that keeps the problems I mentioned above to a minimum..

If you can find an "extra" output from the DOUT card, you could either raise the output for one clock every beat (tick) or toggle the output at every beat (low bass thump)..

That output can be used as a digital trigger, eliminating your counter chip and synchronization problems, or you could add a resistor and a capacitor right off the digital output to create a simple audio signal.

You could also use it for a big LED, if you like the "flashy lights" thing. (great for loud drummers)

There are many ways to do what you want. go with whatever looks like the most fun!

:)

Happy New Year,

LyleHaze