Power Supply Question

Guest KJH

Hi

Almost finished building the SID, reading the documentation suggests I need a 15v 500mA power supply which seems quite high as the 8580 only requires 9 volts. Is there any benefits in driving it so hard?

Cheers

KJH

Hi

Almost finished building the SID, reading the documentation suggests I need a 15v 500mA power supply which seems quite high as the 8580 only requires 9 volts. Is there any benefits in driving it so hard?

Cheers

KJH

Heya KJH!

The SID chip is not directly driven from the 15v input, it is regulated to 9v by the voltage regulator.  

Keep in mind that some parts will change depending on what SID chip you have:

8580:  7809 voltage regulator, C1/C2 = 6.8nF

6581:  7812 voltage regulator, C1/C2 = 470pF

Have Fun!

Smash

thanks for the replies. 12v supply it is then, 15v supplies are more expensive in the UK anyway!

I worded my question wrongly! I meant driving the regulator so hard, not the SID. Are there any heat dissapation problems with the regulators using the higher voltage?

I hadnt noticed that the SID Pages had been updated and clearly mentioned the 12v Supply for the 8580. I had printed out the pages last year and hadnt been back.......all I can say is, Thorsten, you've been busy!!!

Cheers all

KJH