HELP! Think I've bricked the Core!!!

MONSTA

I think my Pic is dead! I had it communicating through MIDI cables connected to an AXIOM25 keyboard. I did a bit of fiddling and think I wrecked one of the MIDI ports I was using as when I tried uploading a Hex file it gave me a MIDI Error and the LCD went blank afterwards...

Now I've hooked up a GM5 (not sure if its wired properly, can you check attached image, the midi wires are twisted a half turn), but have tried every combination. It shows up on OSX in MIDIRouting, so think it's working fine. Nothing I do will bring it back to life and even turning the LCD pots doesn't have any effect even though its lit, is this cause there's nothing being displayed? I'd have still thought there would be some change!

In MIOSStudio I get:

timestamp [unknown] | SysEx: F0 00 00 7E 40 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 F7

Any help would be amazing! I'm completely lost!

Thanks

Christian

P.s. On a side note, the GM5 seems to be ok (shows up on the computer and powers the LCD) but the LED I've hooked up to it doesn't light up. Is this meant to be on whenever it's connected to the computer? Cause thats a bit of a worry if it is!

In MIOSStudio I get:

timestamp [unknown] | SysEx: F0 00 00 7E 40 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 F7

this message is sent by MIOS Studio to restart the core module. It's an outgoing message (therefore the timestamp is [unknown]).

Apparently this command doesn't get a reply for the PIC...

I would propose to go through the MIDI troubleshooting guide.

E.g., with TEST INOUT1 you can ensure that GM5, the optocouplers, the MIDI cables, your MIOS Studio configuration, etc... are working.

The other tests might help to find the issue as well before we assume that the PIC is really fried (unlikely)

GM5 LED: did you consider the polarity of the LED?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks Thorsten!

I'll check these out tomorrow night and report back. As for the GM5, yeah I've checked polarity and also that the LED works. I accidentally ordered some Carbon resistors, but they all seem to work as it appears on my mac etc.. I don't really need the LED, just want to make sure everythings working ok.

Later

Christian

Sorry can I just confirm with someone that my wiring is correct of the GM5 to the Core (I don't think it is)?

Should I be considering the GM5 as a MIDI Interface, so the MIDIOut of the Core goes to the MIDIIN of the GM5? I think I've wired the In>In and Out>Out...

I'll be going through the troubleshouting in a few hours when I get home.

Fingers crossed I can find out whats wrong with it and fix it!

Thanks

Christian

Sorry can I just confirm with someone that my wiring is correct of the GM5 to the Core (I don't think it is)?

Should I be considering the GM5 as a MIDI Interface, so the MIDIOut of the Core goes to the MIDIIN of the GM5? I think I've wired the In>In and Out>Out...

I'll be going through the troubleshouting in a few hours when I get home.

Fingers crossed I can find out whats wrong with it and fix it!

Thanks

Christian

Yes.

The GM5 is a MIDI interface.. and with MIDI we always connect INs to OUTs, and connect OUTs to INs.

Assuming you made your GM5 with regular MIDI connectors, you can always try a loopback test:

Connect the GM5 by USB to your computer..

Using a known-good MIDI cable, connect the GM5 OUT to the GM5 IN (No core, just the GM5 talking to itself)

Now you can use MIDI-OX or really any MIDI utility to test your GM5 and your MIDI cable.. whatever you send to the output should come right back in to the input.

Once you get that working, repeat the test with a different MIDI cable. If you have a GM5X5X5 you can also test different ports.

At this point you have tested and "proved" your GM5, your MIDI cables, and your PC software and configuration.

Disconnect all the "loopback" connections and connect your Core OUT to GM5 IN, and use a second MIDI cable to connect the Core IN to the GM5 OUT.

You should be good to go..

Have Fun,

LyleHaze

Thanks LyleHaze

I did the MidiLoop thing using just the GM5 and it worked (although the LED is still not working, could this be down to the resistors I used?). I just sent an LCD message from MIOSStudio and it received it back.

I'm going to do the troubleshooting page now, but one thing I've noticed is that the LCD screen wont light up unless I connect the out to the out (guessing it's something to do with ground...). If you look at the attached gif, you can see how I've connected them up, which I believe is now correct, but there is no response from the screen. Should I hook them up as I've done, but cross over the ground line?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just a bit lost at the minute and need to get back on track.

Thanks

Christian

post-6514-125788528089_thumb.gif

I'm going to do the troubleshooting page now, but one thing I've noticed is that the LCD screen wont light up unless I connect the out to the out (guessing it's something to do with ground...).

Interesting observation!

This probably means, that there is (just only) a bad soldering joint to the ground plane of your MBHP_CORE module.

Check all pins which are connected to ground, or add some solder to all pins if you are unsure that the connection is good enough.

If you look at the attached gif, you can see how I've connected them up, which I believe is now correct,

yes

but there is no response from the screen. Should I hook them up as I've done, but cross over the ground line?

No!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hey Guys/Girls,

Ok I've gone through all the checks and they passed. I couldn't check the ground of the power supply of J3 (see diagram), the one at the top, as I couldn't track it down on the board, but everything else returned 5v.

Anyway, while connected to a 9v AC/DC adapter the core returns 5.05V at J2 as it should (and an LED connected to J12 will flash every few seconds). But if I connect it up through the GM5 it only puts out about 1V at J2 and the LED at J12 doesn't flash any more, yet the power out (J7) of the GM5 is outputting 5V. Is there anything I should change in the core's power handling etc?

I was about to purchase a few new cores, I need at least one more anyway, but I don't think that'll help at this stage, so any help, as always, is very much appreciated.

Thank you

Christian

Edited by MONSTA

I was being stupid! According to I was supposed to connect the GM5 to J2 of the core, not J1.

Sorry about that! Lets hope that fixes a few things then ;)

Christian

EDIT:

Got this working last night and re-uploaded the MIOS, so thanks for everyones help! Love you guys!

Edited by MONSTA