XML Mixer

lylehaze

I really wasn't sure which forum to put this into..

This project is in Java, so it's not MIOS.. and it's not strictly for MidiBoxes only, although it was inspired by MIOS studio and designed with this community in mind. If any admin thingks it would be better somewhere else, pleXMLMixerV0.8.zipase move it.

This program will allow the end-user to design their own Java window with Midi controls.. At this point is supports Knobs, Sliders, pushbuttons and toggle buttons. The user can choose what goes in the window, where it goes, and what each control looks like.

You can provide .gif images for buttons, knobs, and even the slider handle. You can also scale images to whatever size you want.

You can assign Control change numbers, set minimum and maximum scale values, and even preset the controls to whatever levels you want.

It supports MIDI in too.. and the controls should move to match whatever comes in (necessary for syncing multiple control sources)

It supports multiple Midi inputs, and will merge all selected inputs to a single stream.

It supports multiple Midi outputs, and will broadcast outgoing Midi to all selected ports.

You get all this control just by editing your own XML file.. no other programming experience is necessary.

This is my first Java program, and my first experience with XML as well, so I'm sure there are things I could have done better.

If you find it useful, PLEASE upload your XML files for others to see. and upload your images too.. You'll see that I'm not very good with image editing. There's lots of really artistic people around here, I'm hoping that some of you will contribute better looking images to this project.

Oh, of course it works best with MBMixer.. but that's another project. :)XMLMixerV0.8.zip

Have Fun,

LyleHaze

Lyle i only had a quick look, but looks great.

Do you have any future plans to allow a userto create a mixer, add/move knobs,

set cc values etc.... at Runtime, via the GUI?

And allow the user to save the mixer as an xml file at real time also.

Havent tried creating my own through xml yet, but looks cool so far.

Edited by Smithy

Lyle i only had a quick look, but looks great.

Do you have any future plans to allow a userto create a mixer, add/move knobs,

set cc values etc.... at Runtime, via the GUI?

And allow the user to save the mixer as an xml file at real time also.

Havent tried creating my own through xml yet, but looks cool so far.

Thanks for the feedback!

Seven days since I posted it, and yours is the first reply. I was beginning to wonder if anyone has tried it at all.

There are a few plans for expansion, but I am not planning on adding any editing features.. Especially since this is my first java project, I want to keep the goals as simple as I can. I have found that just cutting and pasting from the examples given should be enough to get all but the very laziest people all that they need. It really is pretty simple to manually edit XML files.

Once before the XML stuff was added I made a "custom" java window that added a LOT of EQ controls for another user.. that was kind of the idea for the XML support.. if you want more controls, just describe the info.. pick a knob image, a CC number, and where it appears in the strip.. it really is just that easy. I am willing to help with XML editing if anyone asks me.

With a _little_ more effort editing images, anyone could change the look completely.

Right now, I have set Java aside and returned to PIC ASM for the next few projects.. On the short and easy side, I need to make some changes to the MBMixer software. I need to remove the MB-Stor stuff, as I'm not using it much, and then add hardware and software to support the meter bridge.. I have everything I need on hand to complete that stuff. While I'm in there, I'll add channel mute support, as I included it in most of the XML Mixer examples anyway.

Once that stuff is done, I need to build a IR remote receiver that emits MIDI code.. as we're using this in the living room right now, and my wife wants to use a remote instead of the local control or BCR or the XML Mixer window... The multiple input and output feature makes adding more control sources a breeze. The IR receiver WILL be a PIC project, but probably not based on MIOS.

Getting back to your question.. I will be updating it to support audio meters, either single or stereo per channel strip, as soon as I have the hardware to test it. I'll also fix bugs or add simple features, but there's no plan for an editor, and it's not likely to be added, unless it becomes a commercial project and I'm getting paid for it. :)

Thanks for your interest, and let me know if I can help with anything!

LyleHaze

I hope you find it useful.

It can be used for other things besides mixing, too.

Midi start, stop, and continue buttons, for instance,

Or a window full of icons that select different programs.. could make selecting instruments easy for young-uns.

Or might be handy for selecting patches quickly from a guitar effects box.. Modern guitar effects are very powerful, but a lot of axe-men couldn't figure out how to manage program-changes to save their lives. If you give them big, colorful buttons that match what the preset sounds like, they'll actually get a lot more out of the effects boxes... or even a full board for tweaking the presets! :)

I'd LOVE to see some sort of editor window for some of the SID toys people have around here.. I thought of putting one together but I have no SIDs toys to play with. But since it does NOT support SysEx, that will probably limit how deep it can go.

But mostly I'm just glad I released it.. It has been a fun project, but I"m glad to be back in PIC ASM where I'm comfortable.

I'm up to my neck in remote control codes right now, I'll be adjusting the mix with a remote control within a week or two.

Have Fun!

LyleHaze