MIOS Studio 2 released

TK.

@Ilmenator: this is unrelated to MIOS Studio and has to be fixed in the MIDIbox NG application (output string too long)

/update: fixed this, the error shouldn't appear in the next MBNG release!

@rvlt: as mentioned at the MIOS Studio page, the app is built for 10.7 and 10.8 (not for 10.6)

However, meanwhile I was able to install an older Xcode version, which allows to build for 10.5 upwards

Could you please try the new build? (same link, the old app has been replaced)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 3 weeks later...

The command line parameters are fantastic, they really allow a streamlined workflow when doing intensive NG configurations.

Also allows to customise "instances" of MIOS Studio (store the parameters in a shortcut itself, or a batch file) so that MIOS Studio can do different jobs without constantly re-configuring it through the GUI.

Highly recommended! :phone:

• 2 weeks later...

I've just bought a Mac Mini to replace the Windows XP laptop I use with my Synth rig.

The XP MIDI USB driver nightmare has forced this.

I'm new to mac but what is the best way to make a shortcut (alias) to MIOS Studio that has command line arguments?

It's described here: http://www.ucapps.de/mios_studio.html

Special note to MacOS users: the binary, which has to be called to pass parameters, is located under MIOS_Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/MIOS_Studio
In order to simplify the access to the binary, just create following aliases (it's assumed, that MIOS Studio has been copied to the /Applications folder):

alias ms='/Applications/MIOS_Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/MIOS_Studio'
 alias ms_batch='/Applications/MIOS_Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/MIOS_Studio --batch' 
By entering these aliases into your ~/.bash_profile, they will be available whenever a new terminal is opened.

Of course, you could create additional aliases with different arguments.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks TK that wasn't too hard for me!

Sorry about the Mac Noob questions, but this opens MS from a terminal window but I can't open another terminal in order to have another instance of MS. I tried:

alias ms='open -n /Applications/MIOS_Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/MIOS_Studio'

from a web hint but it doesn't spawn a new terminal?

[edit]

nope, it's working o.k.

Opening 2 instances of MS results in 3 terminal windows though. Would be nice to do this a  bit cleaner.

Edited by Duggle

Why are you using "open"? This is a different approach.

If you want to spawn without opening a terminal, then add a '&' to the command (normal unix approach)

Usually this is not written into an alias, so write:

ms &

with the initially proposed alias:

alias ms='/Applications/MIOS_Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/MIOS_Studio'

(without "open")

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've just started using Raspberry Pi and am wondering how feasible it is to compile MIOS Studio for this platform?

Of course it would need a serial port driver to work with the Pi's built in UART. 

It would work with Hairless Midi Serial Bridge (which works great with MIOS Studio, btw) but there's the same issue: it needs to be built for the ARM platform and has various dependencies that make the prospect of a successful build seem a bit daunting.

I'm not that experienced with Linux so I thought I'd ask for advice.

I've just started using Raspberry Pi and am wondering how feasible it is to compile MIOS Studio for this platform?

Of course it would need a serial port driver to work with the Pi's built in UART. 

It would work with Hairless Midi Serial Bridge (which works great with MIOS Studio, btw) but there's the same issue: it needs to be built for the ARM platform and has various dependencies that make the prospect of a successful build seem a bit daunting.

I'm not that experienced with Linux so I thought I'd ask for advice.

You should be able to build MIOS Studio for Pi. Not sure about the Midi Bridge. But there seems to be a sourcecode for linux.

I might buy the win32 RPi cross compiler pre built ($10) and see if it works: here

edit: The midi bridge is not required. TTYMIDI is an ALSA midi driver for the RPi UART: here   

You could do that. Beware that it runs under CygWin. So you still have to do linux commands. Might be cheaper and more flexible to make a virtual machine with Ubuntu 12.04. There are a lot of tutorials available.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a MIOS Studio feature request:

BTW; the option switches used in command line invocation (I embed them in windows desktop shortcuts) are indispensable to me, they really improve life with MIOS Studio!

Anyhow, my feature request is a "quiet mode" switch that suppresses non essential pop up dialogs such as "Rescan MIDI devices.....I have no idea/Understood" and "Batch job complete" etc.

Such pop ups are definitely not helpful for an experienced user (who uses invocation option switches).