Midibox SID and pot to tweak

Antix

Hi,

Is it possible use two or three encoders to control parameters with SID synth?

To be clear I'm not interested to a complete ( step C )control surface but I want control

only cutoff and resonance.

So I would realize a step A surface with a couple of encoders controlling for example VCF parameters or pulse width or

external VCF ( SSM2044 with A_OUT )

Is it a realizable stuff ?

Thank You and regards

Short answer: Yes.

Somewhat longer answer: Yes, you'll need to assign the additional encoders in the source code (the WIKI has a nice howto about how to do that).

Another hint: You might wanna take a look at the "knobs" feature in mbSID v2 :)

Hi Nils,

Thank You for the very rapid answer.

In the Wiki I found this : "Changing DIN pins in mbSID v2"

is this the "howTo" that You indicate to me?

For the knobs feature I will read with more attention mbSIDV2 manual .

Regards Antix

Hi Nils,

It'me again

lookin in the code is there for example

ENC_ENTRY 5, 4, MIOS_ENC_MODE_DETENTED2 ; Filter CutOff

ENC_ENTRY 5, 6, MIOS_ENC_MODE_DETENTED2 ; Filter Resonance

Can I change SR

ENC_ENTRY 2, 4, MIOS_ENC_MODE_DETENTED2 ; Filter CutOff

ENC_ENTRY 2, 6, MIOS_ENC_MODE_DETENTED2 ; Filter Resonance

to readdress and define the SR that controls these parameters in according to my hardware?

can I set to "0" the SR that I do not need?

Please be patiented but I have no C programming skills so that for You is simple for me

may be a wall

I'm tryng to learn to use MIOS.

Best regards

Antix

C programming skills won't really help you, as mbSID v2 is written in asm :yes:

The howTo is the one I was referring to, yes.

IIRC you can just set the SR to 0 for the entries you don't need. If that doesn't work simply pick a number for the SR that is higher than the actual number of SRs you have. Ie if you have a DINx4 (with 4 SRs) use sth like 5 or 12 or whatever you like. This might not be the most elegant solution but it's certainly the easiest :)

Hi Nils,

ASM as I know ( Z80 ASM compiler aged 20 years )isn't so reach of

"no properly ASM words".

Modern MPU's ASM seems to me more reach so I was wrong but i was convinced that MBSid applications was wrote in C then compiled.

Anyway I know Z80 ASM but I have more to learn about new microcontrollers assembler.

Thank You for help and regards

Antix

you don't really have to know anything about ASM for what you want to do. You just need to enter different SR and pin numbers to remap existing encoder functions to different DIN pins. The only difficulty is that you need to setup a GPASM toolchain to recompile the app after the changes are made - toolchain quickstart.

As Nils already said, have a look at the KNOB function. For a "Step A" type interface with just a few added elements, this is the most flexible solution. If you recompile the app with "#define DEFAULT_J5_FUNCTION 1" you can connect 5 pots (not encoders) to J5 which you can assign to any parameter you like via the menu, so if you think that e.g. in some patch, it's useful to be able to tweak ENV2 Decay when playing live, just go to the menu and do it :)

S

OK,

It is not a problem for me use toolchain :thumbsup:

If I have understood

I can connect 5 potentiometers to J5

The wiper to RAn and the extremes to GND/+5V

set in the application code "#define DEFAULT_J5_FUNCTION 1" to enable knob function

in MBSID V2 menu I can configure and assign the pot and these assigns can control A-OUT too

so it is true that every single patch may have different knob function configuration

Am I right?

If it works like I am imaging it is simply awesome!!! :w00t:

I'm only waiting for 18F4685 from supplyer to see SID V2

Thanks and regards

Hi all,

Waiting for 18F4685 I had lot of time for give a look to the setup_8580.asm of midiboxsidV2_0-rc37.

Seppoman and Nils helped me to understand many things and I am very grateful.

I have some questions yet ( seems that the asks are not enough )

1-In the setup , may I am wrong because my eyes are not the same of years ago, I do not see a define for stereo sid.

Is it an "already implemented " feature?

2-Has sense in setup disable unused Shift Registers for save computing power assumed that I will not use a complete control surface?

3-I already realized a MB-LTC for midi message LED , is in the MBSID_V2 the midi-msg led on ShiftReg availability?

Thank You for any help

Best regards

Antix