SammichSID built and working! Now I've got questions...

rumpelfilter

Hi!

I've finished building the Sammich yesterday, 10 hours of work, and I'm done. Wasn't that difficult after all... I only inverted the ICs that control the leds and those that control the buttons... but I corrected my mistake and now everything is fine!

Using the normal heat compound worked fine, it's just a matter of being precise and paying attention to where you put it. Add a bit, push down the heatsink, take off and check if there is enough compund to cover the surface, repeat steps if needed...

There is some things that I can't find in the MidiboxSID user guide, so I'll just ask here:

What is F3 on the Sammich supposed to do? Mine does nothing...

The display shows under SID: 1*** I have two Sids installed and set to stereo, but maybe the 1 is referring to the core (PIC), is that right?

thanks a lot again! I hope to get to do some music with it soon! (maybe a duet sammichSID - Shruti-1!)

The display shows under SID: 1*** I have two Sids installed and set to stereo, but maybe the 1 is referring to the core (PIC), is that right?

Yes.

What is F3 on the Sammich supposed to do?

Check setup_sammich_sid.asm:

;; sammichSID buttons (SR#, Pin#) are F1=1,3 F2=1,2 F3=1,1

DIN_ENTRY CS_MENU_BUTTON_Arp, 1, 1 ; enables/disables the arpeggiator of *all* oscillators
DIN_ENTRY CS_MENU_BUTTON_Knob, 1, 2 ; changes to knob menu
DIN_ENTRY CS_MENU_BUTTON_Play, 1, 3 ; direct access to play function
[/code]

Not that hard. The headers for the DIN/DOUT chain are available on the PCB. So you could either just bring those out and add another box with some controls, or attach another core that acts as a controller (involves some coding) ;)

Not that hard. The headers for the DIN/DOUT chain are available on the PCB. So you could either just bring those out and add another box with some controls, or attach another core that acts as a controller (involves some coding) ;)

coding is not really my strengh... so I would go for the "additional" box thing...maybe with some sort of connector in between... but I'll see, right now I'm busy enough with figuring out the Sammich as it is! :)

thanks a lot for the info!

I noticed that there is quite some noise coming out of the sammichSID... on the C64 I had solved the problem by shorting the input to ground, is there a jumper where I can do this on the Sammich PCB, or do I have to do it by hand? I don't really use the input of the Sammich, but would be nice if there was a not-permanent solution...

Yes, the AC adapter. What SIDs are you using? 6581s are typically a lot noisier than 8580/6582.

I'm using two 8580.

I re-listened to the noise closer, and I'd like to give a more precise description of it (sorry for not doing this earlier):

It's more pronounced on the L channel, on the R channel I can barely hear anything. The noise is made of a high pitched hiss and a series of relatively high-pitched crackles. Sounds a bit like a digital version of a scratched record. I don't have the typical ground loop buzz.

The noise also changes a bit depending on the patch, some parameter in the SID is changing the sound of the noise as well...

Could it be a problem with the L Sid? I could try to swap it with another one? I have a spare one somewhere...

Regarding the PSU: I tried to get a good one, regulated, 1000mA...

The best way to describe your noise is to record it and upload a sample here ;) One of your SIDs could be bad (worse than the other) when it comes to noise, of course. Every SID is unique. Are your two 8580s from the same batch/time/revision?

The best way to describe your noise is to record it and upload a sample here ;) One of your SIDs could be bad (worse than the other) when it comes to noise, of course. Every SID is unique. Are your two 8580s from the same batch/time/revision?

No, they are not. At least to my knowledge. It's already hard enough to find working Sids these days...

I have uploaded a sample of the noise, you can listen to it here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4982577/30s-02.mp3

Can't you just attach the sample to a post? That way we can download it and view the noise in our favorite wave editors :thumbsup: Also, a .wav file would be preferred, as you can't really tell what mp3 compression does to stuff :)

Im no expert here, but my advice would be: switch the SID, if the noise has switched to the other stereo channel, most likely that one is hasta la vista baby.

I have three different 8580 (batch numbers and printed on text) and they all sound the same - to me. Awaiting the fourth ;-).

Im no expert here, but my advice would be: switch the SID, if the noise has switched to the other stereo channel, most likely that one is hasta la vista baby.

I have three different 8580 (batch numbers and printed on text) and they all sound the same - to me. Awaiting the fourth ;-).

right away! Sorry didn't think about that...

I think I'll do that... I'll just wait to see what the others say.

30s-02.mp3

well in the end I didn't wait. Just replaced the SID with the other one, and the noise is gone! It was a faulty one apparently. THis "new" SID is from a completely different batch (it's a newer one, since it's not marked MOS but CSG)but so far it seems to produce exactly the same sound as the older MOS one. It's even quiter... makes me want to replace the other sid as well, but now the noise is barely audible. Anyway, thanks for your help everyone! Now it's time to make some music!