MB-6582 problems and midi usb

Xem

Hello, i built a mb-6582 some time ago.

i have a little problem.. there is a channel that do not works well, the sound from the right channel of the sid3 sounds weak. It's not a sid problem, i tried to exchange it with another one, but it's the same. so i think the problem is on the board.

There is another problem, maybe it is related to the precedent. Some times some leds turn on (not fully brighted), expecially the leds of the sid selection, and if i press the button under the lighted on leds all the sounds stops. And then the lights turns off, and i can use my mb-6582 again.

Anyone can help me to resolve?

Thanx

ps.. i forgot the midi question..

I will put my gm5 module into the mb-6582, so i will control every channel from the pc.

i will connect every io of the gm5 to each j11 core ports, and i will connect the ground somewhere.

Should i connect the +5v too?

Edited by Xem

Just my two cents (because I am not very knowledgeable), but I think you might want to start checking the line backward from the audio jack. There is a schematic around here which tells you which pin goes to what - have a search. You will need to report back more information about what does appear to be connected and what does not. Check for shorts. Report more information and someone might be able to help you. You've identified the problem which is signal does not travel from Sid to jack, so now you will just need to start narrowing that down.

• 1 month later...

I finally done some tests.

I used an headphone to listen what goes out from the circuit..

i put one terminal to the ground and the other in various point.

In particular, i compared the right and the left channel of the failing module. At the base of the bc547 the signal seems to be good: no interferences and same loudness in the both channel.

At the out of the bc547, in the failing channel, the sound is a mix of all the playing channels, and the volume is poor, like the signal that goes out from the sid. At the other channel the sound is clear, loud and without interferences.

Could the bc547 be broken? or is there some kind of short to the gnd? if the signal is completly to the ground the out shoud be completly silent.

i cheked the value of the resistors near there, and they are all right.. I have another bc547, so i can try change it, but i'll wait for your answere..

Thank you! =D

Edited by Xem

• 2 months later...

Hello!

i still have the same problem on my mb-6582, i did some test and I found some clue about the problem.

There are 2 important fact, i took a speaker and i connected one tip to the ground and the other one to the direct output of the sid, in the other channels i can hear the sound in the broken one i can hear just some noisy sound.

In the other hand, if i put the sid IN pin to the ground, the sound goes out loud and with a correct volume, from the channel main exit.

Another detail is that the V from the drain of the T_SID is always 2,40V and in the not working chanel is about 3,40V..

This means that the tension difference from source to drain is different, i dont know why.

Can someone help me?

• 5 months later...

Hello, i took again my mb-6582 today.. i still have my problem..

I've checked everything, i can't really understand why this could be possible..

The problem is circumscribed to the filter of the left channel of the 3rd sid.

The sound goes down just in some specific configuration:

if the BP and HP are to 0 (if LP is on or off is the same) OR the osc1 is turned on.

Even if i can hear the sound when i move the cutoff nothing happens, if i can't hear nothing when i move it i can hear some glitch..

I can't really undestand what is happening.. it seem that the sid register relative to the filter is not writed right. I remember i tried to change the sid, but nothing changes (i din't try this today).

Try again to exchange the problematic sid with a working one to make 100% sure its not the sid.

Otherwise, closeup hi-resolution pictures (frontside and backside of the pcb) of the output section (above your problematic sid) would be nice, so we can have a look :-)

Try again to exchange the problematic sid with a working one to make 100% sure its not the sid.

Otherwise, closeup hi-resolution pictures (frontside and backside of the pcb) of the output section (above your problematic sid) would be nice, so we can have a look :-)

i closed it down because tonight i have a contest, and i need it.. in the next days i will try to change the sid and i'll take the picture,

thanks

• 5 months later...