cheap ALPS encoder & silent ALPS buttons

WattSekunde

Hi everyone,

I am following the uCApps projects over many years. Now I find the time to start my first. The SEQ V4.

From time to time I scan for encoders because my lovely Waldorf Q need some fixed.

Last week I found this eBay seller from germany. 15 ALPS Encoder for 6,50 EUR!

http://myworld.ebay.de/maritalogo/

http://stores.ebay.de/Logo-s-Elektronik-Kiste

I love these silent "soft" ALPS buttons. 100 for 6,50 EUR!

http://cgi.ebay.de/100x-SMD-Makro-Taster-ALPS-SKP-softfeeling-Automotiv-/290486920676

and

http://cgi.ebay.de/100x-ALPS-SKPM-SMD-Taster-softfeeling-/300483067589

post-6541-053808200 1289073564_thumb.jpg

I hope this will help!

WattSekunde

nice find, the prices are very good!

That´s true, the prices are supercheap but - IMO - when you have a closer look at the pots/encoders almost all offered types have some kinks and arent always suited very well for midibox applications.

e.g. the rk09 lin mono pots are center detented which means you can barely use them besides pan pots, pitch or pwm applications. Same goes for the encoders. The 24 step types are either horizontally or have the bushing type shaft that is quite long. The better suited ec16 (which is similar to the often used stec16b) ist 12 steps only.

Dont get me wrong, i dont wanna talk it down and its definately a good offer but pay attention to the description. ;-)

Edited by phunk

yes, i want to try the "soft" buttons for the blm when my seq is complete... at 6 cents per piece it is worth a try (289 pcs)

update: i ordered some - those buttons are really nice... could imagine them in a 17x17 matrix smd-soldered to a pcb with smd duo-color leds to achive a tiny and relatively cheap blm.

Edited by Hawkeye

Yes, the 17x17 matrix was my intention with the soft buttons and SMD LEDs, too. ;-)

I'm thinking of replace the "clicky" buttons in my Q. I think I have to modify only the button caps but I'll try it.

For the SEQ I think about the nearly undestroyable hall encoder versions. I have to play around with some samples.

@phunk:

You are right. But I think some of these could helpful for other DIY projects. I have searched a long time for such a good price.

For example: I ordered some really cheap encoders from Hong Kong. They are so bad at all! I don't want to spend a lot of time with an DIY project an then build those crap inside. The tactile feedback is so unbelievable bad. And they aren't much cheaper than the discussed ALPS.

And yes: Always pay attention to the description on ebay!

Here's what Wilba mentioned about LEDs in the BLM forum (this was for shining through the sparkfun button pads):

While I haven't proved this yet, I think you would need some ultrabright waterclear bicolor 3mm LEDs, like found on eBay... and not the weak diffused kind like you find at Mouser (and what I used on my MB-SEQ). SMD LEDs might work but it's too hard to find them with good brightness and low cost, plus they might not illuminate the cap as well as a 3mm LED which is more in the middle of the hole. 3mm LEDs are cheap and available from many suppliers so that's good.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

my name is Emre and I´m new to this forum. I´m very excited and impressed about all the information and contribution found here!

At the moment I´m reading quite a lot and trying to set up a plan how to build and configure a custom midibox LC, but more about that later...

Looking for parts I also saw these Encoders on ebay and I´m about to order some ec11 types (30 Impulses is ok, right?).

I could order some for you findbuddha or other nonEU people as well, so let me know what you need.

Regards, Emre