There!!! No more MB6582 troubleshooting

Nestle

@@@@@ALL FIXED@@@@@@@@

:frantics: :frantics:

:santa: :santa:

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Hola Amigos!

This is the second time around for me. I managed to put v1 SID up and running 3 years ago. Or was it 2. Ok, made the control surface by drilling the holes with big ass drill and 4 unit rack case.

Well, this time around I thought it would be easy as 1-2-3 with all the parts bought from different Ucapps -forum members.

Well - 12 months later the project is closing. Yesterday I managed to finish my control surface.

I am not sure if the monster is just needing a little care to be 100% ok, or if it is still a long way to SIDland.

Hopefully it is just something.

Here are the problems, I am troubleshooting as we speak, so if you have any ideas, please contribute :D

1. OSC -leds are out (SOLVED)

2. ROW 2 of modulation matrix is out (SOLVED)

3. OSC Release encoder malfunctioning (just decreases the amount)(changed from totally irrational behaviour while updating bootloader from 1.9f to 1.9g)

4. Same with the FILTER CUTOFF encoder (SOLVED)

There is more to do with all the sids and testing them. I am just starting to test it - these were the first obivious ones.

Next I am uploading some test applications to see whats happening.

First matrix test and then I will check how many SIDS I actually have up and running.

It is playing rather nicely anyway - Hopefully these are just some shorts etc. With building ... It is always a problem when you have 99% working device in front of you.... Easy to slip into alcoholism and think you already finished it. :P

I will update this if I find out something or get something to work.

If you can see symptoms that can be caused by something, kick me :D

Thanks,

Roope (Nestle)

Edited by Nestle

1. OSC -leds are out

2. ROW 2 of modulation matrix is out

This is most likely caused from one of the wires between base and front PCB has "dropped it's cookies" :tongue: i had a row suddenly dropping out myself (+1 or two other LEDs too), and i did continuity checks between base and front PCB to locate one faulty wire. When i found and fixed the booboo, all my LEDs were sparkling again!

I wouldn't dare to guess what is up with your encoders though. It could be that they were harmed when you removed dentation on them? I hope that someone has a better idea than me!

Lovely to hear that your box is nearly finished :thumbsup:

This is most likely caused from one of the wires between base and front PCB has "dropped it's cookies" :tongue: i had a row suddenly dropping out myself (+1 or two other LEDs too), and i did continuity checks between base and front PCB to locate one faulty wire. When i found and fixed the booboo, all my LEDs were sparkling again!

I wouldn't dare to guess what is up with your encoders though. It could be that they were harmed when you removed dentation on them? I hope that someone has a better idea than me!

Lovely to hear that your box is nearly finished :thumbsup:

LED problems solved!!! :D

Lovely!

In fact the other encoder fixed itself while my soldering gun gently weeped. :P

Now I only have 2nd encoder to solve. I did some testing and all the sids are playing the test tune. My ears are bleeding in happiness.

I will continue figuring out the one encoder. Oh the life gives me marmelade :D

Roope

This OSC RELEASE encoder problem seems to be a persistent bugger. Can't put my finger on it. My only lead is that the symptoms were exactly the same with filter encoder that I fixed and it was a wire problem. It seems there is not a reasonable way to test an encoder without tearing the machine in parts?

Other than that, my MB6582 seems complete. I start uploading preset patches and to study the difference with v1 and v2 ... :cheer: "Like a virgin" :cheer:

Roope

Edited by Nestle

Hello again,

I have examined the encoder and the whole path from encoder to chip but have not found anything drastic.

The symtoms where the encoder acts a really involuntarily adding or decreasing as it had its own will gives me hope that the problem is a short outside of encoder, not the encoder itself. It is almost usable, as with patience and cranking the encoder back and forth it eventually sets to value I was after.

So is this a clue about encoder being ok: "encoder does not just add or just decrease the value, so for me it seems that the problem could be other than the encoder itself?"

I did remove the "detent" from these - but all of the other ones work like a charm. Doesn't mean that I have not broken one.

But, I have multimetered the most of my mb6582 so I can't really say what else could be the problem.

Also, the last thing I would like to do is to rip the encoder from the PCB. It seems that there is no way to test the encoders when they are already soldered.

With the stuff I have done myself there always is SOMETHING. This time it seems to be one encoder :P

Roope

Edited by Nestle

UPDATE:

I did update the bootloader to 1.9g and NOW THE ENCODER IS JUST DECREASING THE VALUE. Is this a hint towards something?

If I use the encoder it just chooses OSC Release but doesn't add to the value :P

Roope

Edited by Nestle

:cheer:

I think it is time to close the case and start playing. I can live with a broken encoder :thumbsup:

:cheer:

Thanks for all you all. TK, Julianf, Wilba, SmashTV... The guy who made this acryl window, the guy who sold me CS parts... And all of you who helped me with v1 and now with v2.

I will eventually sort this encoder thingie .... But now it is time to see how the MB6582 actually works with my music! @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@found a broken lead from the pcb - a 3 cm jump wire fixed the last problem - hip hurraa!!!@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Edited by Nestle