Building MBSIDv2 with separate modules,want to use 6582 control surface board.

cbomb

Hi, I started building my mbSID months ago, and I'm finally picking it back up. I'm building a MBSIDv2 with separate modules, and want to use the 6582 control surface board. I have a core and a sid module that are tested, and I am building DINs, but I was very intimidated by the idea of building my own control surface on perf board :). Right now, I only plan to have one core and 2 SIDs, but a full control setup using the 6582 cs PCB that smashTV sells. Are there any obvious problems with this idea? Is it a simple matter of proper wiring from the CS PCP to the DINs?

Cool thanks for the quick reply. I looked in the forums but could not find any info, I don't think anyone has ever done it and written about it. I might not have looked hard enough though. I may just order the board tomorrow and give it a whirl...I still need to buy more encoders though, so it might be awhile. Until then, if anyone has more info one this, it would be greatly appreciated to hear it!

I'm pretty sure that the MB6582 is set up like it has DIN x 6. All the buttons are set up in a matrix, so they only use two shift registers (correct me if I'm wrong). The other four are for encoders. The default assignments are on the wiki. I haven't fiddled with any LEDs yet, but I assume they work under the same principle.

I think you would have to use the MB6582 setup hex file. I'm not positive how that would work with a standalone core, but being as that the MB6582 is based on 4 core modules I would guess it should work fine.

You'd be doing yourself a favor building your own CS though. I got a bag of 100 cheap tact switches (off ebay) and some cheap encoders (Future electronics or something like that) and made a mock up to understand how it all worked. It took me a couple trys, but I kinda understand how it all goes together now. (At least better than I did :whistle: )

Is it a simple matter of proper wiring from the CS PCP to the DINs?

Yes, proper wiring of the DINs and DOUTs (and +5V/Gnd) is all it takes.

I think you would have to use the MB6582 setup hex file.

Correct, as that is the only one with the correct DIN/DOUT assignments.

I'm pretty sure that the MB6582 is set up like it has DIN x 6.

DINx5 and DOUTx3 (notice the additional transistors to drive the LEDs).