SammichSID Problem **FIXED**

downerczx

I'm almost done with my sammichSID. It passed the voltage checks and continuity tests. I added the IC's and powered it up. I got MIOS downloaded and tested out the first patch. I put the case together. I tested some patches with a MIDI keyboard. Everything was working okay, for a few minutes.

I am having an issue where it turns on and sometimes actually boots up correctly. However, very shortly afterwards the LED's act strange and the rotary encoder stops working.

None of my solder joints look bad, but they aren't all exactly that great. I tried to use some flux for the pins on the connections between the two boards and it actually seemed to make it stick worse. I think I used too much likely.

Anyway, I suspect either a loose pin or a bad solder joint but I'm having a hard time detecting it. Are there any good tests or ways of finding this?

thanks to Wilba who's already helped me quite a bit.

Some pictures of your soldering (decent res, non-blurry) might help us identify the problem. Also try to run the test app and see if that sheds any light on the problem.

Problems that occur after the sammichSID running a while are often related to the PSU - what PSU (Voltage/Current rating) are you using?

I figured it out, it was my audio cable actually. The SIDs are actually identical in volume. Thanks.

Well, it depends on the SIDs. If they're not identical, they might have a slight difference in the output. You can do a quick test - swap the SIDs and see if the problem swaps too; it has been seen before ()