MB6582 post construction problems

tim_pugh

Hi,

after I have now reviewed the different documentation material and I made some summary documentation for a systematic trouble shooting of the CS PCB. I tested every element on the CS PCB. The CS PCB was disconnected from the base PCB during my testing. In total I found 2 dead interconnection points (from the top side to the bottom side) on the PCB, which I could fix. I couldn't find the short on JD8-D3 to D5. But as there are 3 tracks affected at the same time, it is very likely that this is a fault on the CS PCB. I am pretty sure that I haven't done a bad soldering job, especially considering that I check each and every joint with a 10x jewlery's loupe afterwards. I also understand now why some of the switches (connected to JD8-D3 to D5) are interpreted in a certain way, it is exactly because of the short on these 3 tracks and the fact that they share the same GND (because of the short) and the same pin at the JD5. Switches on the same GND track are randomly recognised, depending on which register the firmware reads at that time.

I have printed the schematic on a Din A3 paper (which is still too small) and I followed the tracks. There are only a view points where a short of all 3 tracks come close together. To check these points, I have to de-solder a couple of switches and encoders. This will be my last try, if I won't be successful then I will throw the CS PCB away and start from scratch. At least I have learned a lot about the CS PCB now, but still very disappointing that I couldn't find the fault.....

Cheers

orange

Edited by orange_hand

Hi,

when I started my MB6582 project I thought about what my contribution to this project could be. Now I found it - Please find attached the CS trouble shooting guide:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=control_surface_troubleshooting

From my experience I can now say that it was difficult to understand the wiring on the CS PCB. It took me some time to get all the documentation together in order to do a systematic troubleshooting. You will soon find all the required documentation on this page in an easy to understandable manner, so that you are able to do a CS troubleshooting efficiently.

The page will be improved with some more illustrations and desriptions within the next couple of days. I hope that people will benefit from my experiences and from this documentation.

Anyway, I am happy that I have got some support from Wilba and SmashTV in order to find the fault on my board... to be continued :-)

Cheers

orange

• 4 weeks later...

Cool, I am very glad it works now! Looking good!

Did you have any trouble getting the flathead LEDs in while screwing the CS to the frontpanel? I found it a little bit difficult last time I installed the new display...

Greets, Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Hi Peter,

no I haven't had a problem with the flat head LED's as I have soldered them in at the very end of the process. Actually when I did the previous control surface, I had to remove the panel approx. 20 to 30 times while searching the fault. At the end I was also struggling to get the panel back on.

Cheers

orange