USB GM5 Module right for me?

drunknbass

Im looking at using the midi protocol to transport joystick commands. I was looking to use the pic to build a prototype but stumbled onto this" USB GM5 Module".

Not sure if its right for me but i liked its small form factor.

Basically i just need a way to go from simple buttons A B C D E to any midi(customizable would be great) message.

Is this the right unit for me or is this just a component to a larger system?

GM5 is not what you want. Have a look at the MidiBox64 instead as it handles buttons. Really, what you need is a CORE plus one or more DIN modules. If you're in the states, SmashTV's shop has boards for both.

You can also use AIN modules for analog inputs if you wanted to use joysticks with an axis (as opposed to buttons)

GM5 is not what you want. Have a look at the MidiBox64 instead as it handles buttons. Really, what you need is a CORE plus one or more DIN modules. If you're in the states, SmashTV's shop has boards for both.

You can also use AIN modules for analog inputs if you wanted to use joysticks with an axis (as opposed to buttons)

awesome ill take a look.. i was planning on using buttons and joystick, but the joysticks are arcade style so they already map to separate switches.

I did have plans to make adapters that would go from xbox/ps2 controllers and output them via usb midi, but i havent really had enough time to research to much into the controllers and how all the inputs work.

I know how the NES and SNES controllers work (shift registers basically) though it's been a while. If you're familiar with Linux, have a look at the Linux kernel source documentation. I forgot the exact module name (gamepad maybe) but it has tons of documentation about how to connect stuff all the way back to the Atari 2600 up to at least the PS2 controllers (not sure about the 360). You could get some good knowledge from that. The docs for the NES and SNES controllers were awesome.

I know how the NES and SNES controllers work (shift registers basically) though it's been a while. If you're familiar with Linux, have a look at the Linux kernel source documentation. I forgot the exact module name (gamepad maybe) but it has tons of documentation about how to connect stuff all the way back to the Atari 2600 up to at least the PS2 controllers (not sure about the 360). You could get some good knowledge from that. The docs for the NES and SNES controllers were awesome.

thanks ill have to check that out. As far as the hardware im looking at getting as compact as possible for what i want to do, so most likely ill have to get custom boards made once i get all this stuff figured out.