Has somebody already a finished MB9090 or standalone sequencer from the MB808

pcbatterij

Hey,

I read a lot of topics and messages on the forum about people that started a MB 9090 projector would like to start one and a few about a standalone sequencer from the MB808.

But I have never seen a picture or PCB layout and/or wiring from a finished project.

If someone already finished a project like this, would you like to share pictures?

Kind regards,

Jef

Hi Jef,

Coinsidence?!, but yesterday I finished my MB808 standalone drumsequencer. It's great! Here are some pictures and words about it.

I also didn't know how to start cause I couldn't find any wiring diagram. After a long search I came across a PDF file, I think it was from Digineural, it's called '808 hardware config', and there was the pinout. I decided to build some experimenters boards, 2 fully stuffed DINX4 and 2 fully stufed DOUTX4. Then I made a board with 32 buttons and 32 LED's. I attched them to my core, uploaded the setup_808_default hex file and there I had an experimental working drumsequencer! Now I only had to check if the pinout was the same as on the PDF file and it was. For clearance I made my own excel file with the pinout and then I started assembling the interface. I have dozens of simple switches so I used these and soldered them onto a breadboard. It was a lot of work but I used only stuff I had lying around, so except for the core,dins and douts my machine didn't cost my anything!

For housing I used an old plastic elctrobox, and the lettering I printed on a aluminium label for laserprinters.

Succes with your machine and if you got any questions I'l be glad to help you!

I got a question myself: I can't get the global accent working. I changed the mdidport from 7 to 1 in the ASM file, compiled it and uploaded it to my drumsequencer. It seems to have effect, cause in Ableton I can program the accent steps now (C-4), and that didn't work with the default file. But it doesn't create a global accent. Anybody any idea?

Cheers,

Roel

post-8360-048892100 1300882192_thumb.jpg

post-8360-074627400 1300882213_thumb.jpg

post-8360-006046500 1300882252_thumb.jpg

post-8360-025907000 1300882516_thumb.jpg

post-8360-014233700 1300882528_thumb.jpg

Edited by Elektruck

@Electruck: WOW! +1 FREAKIN AWESOME. Nice work.

@Jef: I'm expecting delivery of my control surface pcb this week. I wanted to make my own boards but my oddball layout and space constraints caused me to get it professionally manufactured.

It's really not unusual as MIDIbox projects go ... it's just a PIC-based core, some DIN modules wired to buttons and encoders, some DOUT modules wired to LEDs, and optionally 1 display and 1 pot, both wired directly to the core. It doesn't matter what DIN and DOUT pins get wired to what buttons, except that the 16 "GP" sequencer LEDs and buttons need to be wired to consecutive pins. You define which buttons are connected to which pins. The MIDIbox 808 is listed as a "project" on the uCapps.de page.

You can use additional DOUTs for analog trigger outputs and/or a 3-digit LED display of BPM.

Download the app, unzip it and have a look at the setup file. It will become much clearer.

@Electruck: WOW! +1 FREAKIN AWESOME. Nice work.

Thank you, that's nice to hear!

And to Jeff, I agree with nebula, it's not so hard as it looks. Download the zip-file and it will become all clearer as you start, and if you got any questions, just ask.

And to digineural; You have a great design lying so get back to your project, it's a wonderful machine!

Cheers,

Roel

Electruck, how did you get the printing on your panel?

First I designed the panel with the free frontpanel designer tool from schaeffer. Then I printed it as a PDF file, and then I simply printed it on an aluminium label (sticker) with a laser printer. Works really well. I bought it here: http://www.mdaelektronica.nl/nl2/index.php?item=frontplaatfolie-aluminium-voor-laserprinters-a4--5-vel&action=article&group_id=20000644&aid=7268&lang=NL

Only the site is in dutch, but it's an online electronic shop and you can buy the sheets there for 20,- euro's for 5 A4 sheets. It's specially used for prototype frontplates.

I heard other people talk about this site: http://www.lazertran.com/ They also sell some kind of sheets for laserprinters, specially used by artist, but I don't know anything about that.

On a dutch synthesizer forum I read about etching aluminium frontplates, looks realy well, there was a link to a tutorial, really interesting! here's the link: http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/MarkMs-Gallery/album24/

Cheers,

Roel

Edited by Elektruck

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know where to find this "808 wiring" pdf? I can't seem to find it on ucapps :/

There is none. When you unzip the 'midibox_808_v1_1c' folder you can find the pinout in the setup.ASM files but you'll have to search. Somewhere I came across a pdf file, I'll attach it, together with a file I created for my own clearance. It looks difficult but as you start you'll find out everything quite simple.

Cheers,

Roel

808 hardware config.pdf

MB808 drumsequencer pinout2.pdf