Bridging Arduino and MidiBox community's.

Peter Lindener

Dear

Midi box community -

First thanks for the fairly thoughtful feedback, many of you posted in response to my reflections.

Then I do feel a bit misunderstood. I have not asked for permission to sell anything related to the MidiBox IP, but only suggested that some additional thinking and reflection might be healthy.... I'm certainly not suggesting that my take on things in the end is what the MidiBox community as a whole will want to do...only that some reflection might be in order...

My original intent, was to suggest that it might be good to make some effort towards bridging the Arduino and MidiBox communitys.... I did bring up the production of populated boards but only to ease the entry of tech newbies who are even more entry level in there learning about micro-controllers.... I never asked to produce such boards for my profit...quite the opposite. I figured I would support such efforts out of my own pocket...

On the other hand.....understading something about economics.... I did figure that we might want to make it attractive for others to produce this entry level Arduino/MidiBox compatible platform...

I hope this clarifys were I am comming from.

All the best

-Peter

Edited by Peter Lindener

<irony>

Yo dude, if ya haz once experienced tha mighty new LPCNespresso rainbow land, you will not want to build a bridge back to old grey Arduino land.

Cause its got lazerz! And caffeine!

</irony>

Edited by Hawkeye

Dude!.....did your say CAFFEINE!!! Your right PCCNespresso land is so COOL!.....

Lazers to...... man were should I shoot first...... we will just vaporize all of them!!!...you say they only know how to play with 8 bit 10Mz controllers..... well show them a trick or two....... I hear you ca use Music some form of a new fangled weapon..... Its true!!...Ive tried it with my Saxaphone....Pacific Ave in Santa Cruz, CA, USA was completely neutralized this morning by means of playing Adele's rolling in the deep on my Alto.... Need more Mountain Dew!!

-Peter

<irony>

Yo dude, if ya haz once experienced tha mighty new LPCNespresso rainbow land, you will not want to build a bridge back to old grey Arduino land.

Cause its got lazerz! And caffeine!

</irony>

Where else does one bring up the topic of making it easier for newbies to aquire known good hardware to start out on..... I can put it together....but its great for first timers to not run into as many problems ( even if due to there own lack of soldering skills )...... I did want to bring up the issue of the availability of prepopulated boards......not because I need them...or have any interest in making $$$s off there assembly...but because other newbies may not have the experience that I have......ie. I like the idea of being welcoming...even for Arduano users who barely understand how slow there little 8 bit chip is..... I hope people don't end up canning me for inviting these newbies over to MidiBox, ARM Cortex-M3 land.......

folks will naturally think you are offering to sell something when you post in the sale requests forum...

I don't think that this is the right way.

The MIDIbox community is specialized on MIDI/synth/controller topics, small and therefore flexible - and especially very friendly as long as people don't start to bother because of missing informations or delayed support which can't be omitted for such a sparetime project.

Arduino goes a totally different way. It's a generic device made for newbies who want to explore microcontrollers by programming simple applications.

It explicitly goes the commercial and education route (another reason why it's clever from the creators not to add too much complexity by themself), devices made with Arduino can be explicitly sold in commercial devices which is ok as well as the effort is mostly done by the programmer himself.

MIDIbox in distance is a huge work of a small number of people, most work has been done by myself over the last 12 years.

It is and should stay a hobby.

Of course, people who started with Arduino are always welcome to try MIDIbox as well, but I'm not interested to actively advertise the MBHP as an alternative to Arduino, especially not as general purpose platform.

If this is for interest, then please start an own platform and community, and support it by yourself.

Some people did this by themself in the past (also for MIDI/Music related projects) with success - so it can work!

Best Regards, Thorsten.