Presets some loud some extremely quiet, this normal?

bhc303

Triangle waveforms don't sound as loud as others. Also patches using the filter might not be as ones not using the filter. Maybe your filter is sounding mushy or not working well? Identify which patches sound less loud, try turning off the filter, etc. Or if you want, upload some wavs of the same note played in some patches which you call loud and which you call quiet (and don't touch the recording level in between recording those patches)... then we can compare with other MIDIbox SIDs.

Hey guys,

thanks for your replies!

My sound card is in getting fixed at the moment, I should have it back on Friday, I will do a recording then.

Below are patches that are super quiet compared with others, if other patches are at a normal level these (below) are almost silent?

when I first loaded the patch bank only every second one loaded, I reloaded and have the full 127 vintage pack installed.

1st patch

6 simple saw

7 simple pulse

8 puls w/o body

9 popcorn

10 flute

11 synth plug

14 sync sound (starts quiet then gets louder)

18 arpeggio

19 arpeggio 2

31 metal

47 wt falling

56 dont cry baby!

62 step by step

68 seq vintage a

92 monty bass1

95 monty lead1

93 monty lead3

103 sample and hold 1

123 crescendo

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

cheers

B

Edited by bhc303

+1 on Wilbas proposal regarding the filter test - please turn it off in one or more of the affected patches, to see, if it makes a difference (and the filters are damaged).

Assuming, that your SID filters are not 7-feet-under, this could also be an explanation:

I once reconfigured the filter mode (calibration?) from 6581 to 8580 in an ensemble and wondered, why many patches went silent (low pass filter) - turning that fine cutoff knob resolved the problem in a second :-).

Greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

You go to the "FIL"ter menu (click the second button under the display, then click on FIL) and remove the assignments to the SID channels 123, so that the value under CHN looks like "---".

For the second test, change the cutoff to a higher value ("CUT" -> "FFF") or to a lower value ("CUT" -> "000"). If at some point the volume comes in as in the other, normal loud patches, your filters are ok, but the patches have the wrong cutoff values.

Greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Please perform test 2 -> read my edited posting above.

Of course, you should hear "filtering", e.g. with a low-pass filter, there should be a significant cut-off in the high frequency sounds.

If that does not work neither for the right nor the left SID, both SIDs may have damaged filters (although I think that is unlikely).

Edited by Hawkeye

You need to activate them again, of course - CHN 123 (Activate Filter on all SID channels) - MOD L-- (Lowpass), then sweep the Cutoff from 000-FFF, while playing some notes, to see, if there is some filtering going on.

Greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Which types of SIDs are you using (6581 or 8580/6582)?

If you can obtain some replacement SIDs, you could exchange them for a test.

I don´t know, if anything else on the hardware side could effect the availability of the filters, e.g. wrong filter caps? Some moar feedback from someone else is needed :)

Greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

The 1st patch is probably still the "Init" (default) patch, which shouldn't be quiet.

Possibly you have Osc 1 quieter than the others.

Try initializing the 1st patch again (via the Shift menu)

Then compare the volume when playing each Osc with the same settings.

i.e. goto Osc menu, set Osc 1 to off, set Osc 2 to Pulse. Repeat with Osc 2 off, Osc 3 Pulse.

This is just a theory. Perhaps there is some hardware problem too. Check the filter caps are correct for the SID type and installed correctly.

Also, if you have two SIDs, is this problem only happening on one SID or both?

Hey guys thanks for replies and help!

Had a big day at the office, and tomorrow looks to be another 15 hr day... I will check out the given tests tomorrow night.

I have two X 6582a's installed, pretty sure I got the correct filter caps installed, they are on 1st 3rd & 5th I think... will check it out though.

Both sids seem to make the same quite sound... the sids were handled with anti static gloves and I wore a antistatic wrist band while installing, they were stored in antistatic bag in a anti static box in there plastic anti static sleeve etc before use... don't know if this helps?

I will trouble shoot tomorrow night and get back to you guys.

Thanks again!

:flowers:

Cheers

B

Hole numbers matter. 1st and 2nd pins are connected. 5th and 6th pins are connected. So you can use capacitors with 0.1" or 0.2" lead spacing.

It makes more sense if you look at the PCB: http://www.mb6582.org/sammichSID/sammichSID_Base_PCB.pdf

I should have just put photos in the build guide with photos of the two possible ways of plugging in caps.

Hey mate, thanks again for your help! I tried the different hole spacing with the same results, think I might need to buy some more capacitors now... they look a bit crap after my sausage fingers mangling them LOL.

thanks for the schematics!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all...I haven't had a chance to open up the sammich and try to diagnose the problem. But this might be a clue. This morning, I ran it through a guitar pre-amp and found that all of the quiet patches are now at normal volume.

However, the poly patches and drum sequence patches only play half the voices. Any thoughts about this?

Hi all...I haven't had a chance to open up the sammich and try to diagnose the problem. But this might be a clue. This morning, I ran it through a guitar pre-amp and found that all of the quiet patches are now at normal volume.

However, the poly patches and drum sequence patches only play half the voices. Any thoughts about this?

Do you have two SIDs installed?

Are you using a mono plug in the sammichSID's stereo socket?

Two 6582A SIDs are installed

I'm using a TRS-TRS cable

When I send the sammich output directly to balanced stereo input - the focusrite saffire pro 40, for instance - I experience the problem where the patches listed by the OP are very quiet.

When I either use a TS cable or run a TRS into an unbalanced unit (like a guitar amp), the quiet patches are now at normal volume. The poly patches now play only half their voices.

So I'm am led to believe that one of my SIDs is damaged. Is this a correct assumption?

Directly plugging the unbalanced stereo output of sammichSID into a mono balanced input is not going to work. You need an adapter.

I suspect you may be directly wiring the TRS plug (into the sammichSID) to an XLR plug (or a TRS plug) and plugging it into an XLR mono balanced input (or a TRS mono balanced input). That is definitely NOT going to work. Balanced inputs have three contacts/pins/wires but it's NOT stereo. A single balanced mono input is a two-wire pair plus ground, and the two wires are the same mono signal just inverse of each other.

I have one balanced input in my sound card (M-Audio Delta 1010-LT) so I made up an XLR adapter at the other end of the cable which ties one balanced input (the negative one I think) to ground, the other to the signal. This works because the input measures the relative difference between the two inverse signals, so if one is ground and the other is the unbalanced signal then it still works.

Also, you CANNOT plug a mono plug (TS) into the sammichSID's stereo (TRS) socket. You can't get stereo out of a mono plug or a mono cable.

I assume your SIDs are not damaged, and the problem is just the plugs/wiring to whatever you're using.

The simple way to test this is to just get a cable with stereo TRS plug and two male RCA plugs on the other:

CABLE-2-RCA-Male-to-3-5mm-Stereo-CableWholeseale.jpg

and plug it into a stereo amp or your TV or something. They often are sold with the 3.5mm plug, so get an adapter for that end.

ADAPTER-Audio-3-5mm-Female-to-1-4-inch-StereoMale-CWholesale-30S1-14200.jpg

Alternatively, make your own stereo TRS plug to two mono TR sockets adapter. Or a stereo TRS plug to two mono TR plugs.

In case you need more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector