MIDI controller (over USB)

Ash_DJ

Hi all,

Having had a look through the site with it's various products on offer and seemingly all-knowing community, I've decided to pluck up the courage to ask for your assistance in my first project (of many hopefully)!

I'm currently a bedroom DJ using a pair of Technics SL1210 Mk2's with a Numark mixer, M-Audio Torq (with Conectiv interface and timecoded vinyl) and Dell Inspiron laptop. Eventually I'd like to move on to more advanced equipment as I start to get into clubs but I'm probably a little way away from that.

The one thing missing from my set up is a good old controller, which I want to use for the Torq software's effects and various looping capabilities. For this, I'd only be looking to use around 12 knobs on potentiometers and maybe 15 or 16 arcade-style buttons, as seen on the MIDIFighter.

I've had a look at the various PCB's but find that a lot of the electronic lingo goes straight over my head. Would one (or many of you) be willing to assist me on this small project? I have a clear idea of where I want to go, have very basic soldering skills and am an intermediate PC-user, that is to say, I do not know how to program or code but could probably learn.

Hope to hear from you guys soon! :frantics:

Ashley

I am curious as to why you want to build over buy? Controllers might appear expensive when you first look at them, but in reality, making a DIY controller that looks a polished as a commercial one is likely to end up costing you more and can take a great deal of time and effort to do. Yes, it will be far more enjoyable, unique, and generally worth it; but it is often no small project.

If you really want to make your own, I would actually recommend you buy a commercial one first so you have something to use while you work on yours. You can also get ideas for what might work and what might not with your own layout.

Second, I would start small. Get a CORE, an LCD, some buttons and some protoboards and make something small so you become comfortable with how everything works with CORE and the MidiBox platform. Once you have that, you can start planning for your design, parts, etc. for your actual controller.

As far as planning, you have to consider how everything will mount and fit inside whatever enclosure you opt to use or make. That is going to take some trial and error, surely, so be prepared for that.

Ponoko is a great place you can use for plastic enclosures (see the Sammich synths) and is cost effective. I am going to use it to prototype my own control surface for my MBSID before I have that made on aluminum (which you can have made via Front Panel Express here in the US).

M00dawg is right - if you buy a ready-made unit, it will be cheaper overall, at least if you calculate your time for learning and construction.

On the other hand, it is great fun to build your own controller, and it can be customized to your needs!

I´d recommend to buy a LPCXpresso board, a new LPC17 core PCB and parts plus one DINX4 PCB plus parts from SmashTVs shop plus a few buttons (tactile switches) to get going...

Here is the assorted documentation of the project you may want to start with: http://ucapps.de/midio128.html

You can always expand from that basis, and it will cost less than 100 bucks to get going...

Greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

I am curious as to why you want to build over buy? Controllers might appear expensive when you first look at them, but in reality, making a DIY controller that looks a polished as a commercial one is likely to end up costing you more and can take a great deal of time and effort to do. Yes, it will be far more enjoyable, unique, and generally worth it; but it is often no small project.

If you really want to make your own, I would actually recommend you buy a commercial one first so you have something to use while you work on yours. You can also get ideas for what might work and what might not with your own layout.

Second, I would start small. Get a CORE, an LCD, some buttons and some protoboards and make something small so you become comfortable with how everything works with CORE and the MidiBox platform. Once you have that, you can start planning for your design, parts, etc. for your actual controller.

As far as planning, you have to consider how everything will mount and fit inside whatever enclosure you opt to use or make. That is going to take some trial and error, surely, so be prepared for that.

Ponoko is a great place you can use for plastic enclosures (see the Sammich synths) and is cost effective. I am going to use it to prototype my own control surface for my MBSID before I have that made on aluminum (which you can have made via Front Panel Express here in the US).

Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses. In all honesty, I don't want a full blown controller, just something small (similar to the Midi Fighter or to this). Just something to control a few variables in the software whilst still using my physical decks and mixer. I've had a look at a few options (Arduino, Teensy and the Livid Instruments MIDI CPU) but thought that this might be the way to go. I've already got an idea of how I want it to look and the size of the enclosure, I'm just a n00b when it comes to the electronics stuff :blink:. I'll have a look at those links you've suggested though.