(SOLVED)Seq V4L BPM digits

gomiboy99

I have recently completed my Seq V4L and wanted to add the BPM digit and encoder option but cannot get the display to work although it is working with other kit. The LPC board is running the latest Seq V4L.

I have the MBSEQ_HW.V4L file in the root of the SD card and have modified the appropriate section:

##################################################

# Optional BPM digits

##################################################

# set to 1 or 2 to enable the 3 optional BPM digits

# 0: BPM digits disabled

# 1: BPM digits with common cathode

# 2: BPM digits with common anode

BPM_DIGITS_ENABLED 1

# define the DOUT shift register to which the segments are connected (0=disabled)

BPM_DIGITS_SEGMENTS_SR  9

# define the DOUT SR and pin to which the common pins are connected

# we are counting from right to left

# Example: 140.5 BPM: (COMMON1 = .5, COMMON2=0., COMMON3=4, COMMON4=1)

#                       SR  Pin

BPM_DIGITS_COMMON1_PIN   10   7

BPM_DIGITS_COMMON2_PIN   10   6

BPM_DIGITS_COMMON3_PIN   10   5

BPM_DIGITS_COMMON4_PIN   10   4

The problem I have is that whatever shift registers I assign for the segments and commons, I get nothing on the display and there is just a logic 0 on the SO pin on the DOUT. I have signals on RC and SC and all wiring is ok from the LPC core. The DOUT is a known working module and the display is fully functional and wired correctly.

I have tried shift registers from 1 to 16 in various combinations but nothing works. Using 1 to 8 causes the LEDs on the control surface to act strangely because they are assigned to those shift registers.

I have spent a lot of time tracing signals back to the LPC board and everything seems to be in order. I have even swapped all of the ICs associated with J8/9 and the DOUT and still no change.

I don't think I have missed anything, read the documentation several times and it looks to me like it should work - even the docs say so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim.

Edited by gomiboy99

The only guy who tested the code so far on a MBSEQ V4 (without L) is Hawkeye - I haven't built the hardware by myself...

However, but I think that the issue is related to the SEQ_LED_PinSet function, which doesn't pass values to MIOS32_DOUT_* functions, but to the BLM_CHEAPO_DOUT driver instead.

s32 SEQ_LED_PinSet(u32 pin, u32 value)
{
#ifdef MBSEQV4L
if( pin < 64 )
return BLM_CHEAPO_DOUT_PinSet(pin, value);

if( pin >= 128 && pin < 196 )
return BLM_X_LEDSet(pin-128, 0, value);
#else
if( pin < 128 )
return MIOS32_DOUT_PinSet(pin, value);

if( pin < 196 )
return BLM_X_LEDSet(pin-128, 0, value);
#endif

return -1; // pin not available
}
[/code]

I just have changed the BPM digit driver, so that it directly accesses MIOS32_DOUT

Could you please check if this temporary version works:

http://www.ucapps.de/mios32/midibox_seq_v4l_055b.zip

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Well, good news and bad news. I am now getting a signal to the DOUT but I think I have damaged my LED display, the digits are missing segments and don't display correctly.

The display does change when I vary the tempo so time to find another LED display for more testing.

Nice to know, that it will most likely work for the ´lite after TKs modification!

If you don´t know what to do with the other available pins on the DOUT module, maybe the step counter is also of interest to you :-)

It is the LED digits display below the BPM (120.0 to 300.0) in this test video - it has proven to be really useful for "overdubbing" recording for me:

Greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Nice to know, that it will most likely work for the ´lite after TKs modification!

If you don´t know what to do with the other available pins on the DOUT module, maybe the step counter is also of interest to you :-)

It is the LED digits display below the BPM (120.0 to 300.0) in this test video - it has proven to be really useful for "overdubbing" recording for me:

Greets,

Peter

Thanks Peter, I was aware of that, I may give it a try later but my priority is the BPM display, followed by the BPM encoder.

I am still having problems, I have verified (again) that the display and DOUT are working but I still get unreadable results on the BPM display.

I have found SR1 and SR2 are the only settings that give any kind of display and tried both for each set of outputs. But some segments are off and the DP appears on more than one segment.

I have read Hawkeye's post about setting SRs 1 below the actual value but there has been a new version since that post so I wonder if this is relevant or perhaps the fix (if any) was also included in the V4L update.

Again any help would be much appreciated.

Tim

Hi Tim,

have you checked the wiring? I tried it out on a breadboard first, and had to correct a few assumptions, e.g. it may be that you accidentally have inverse digit order or inverse dout pin wiring...

Wrongly lit segments was exactly what I experienced too, at first... If nothing helps, i am currently building the lite, too, and could test with a dout module in a few days from now.... Just wanted to reassure everybody, that the BPM + Step Display and the TPD works fine in the big Seq V4.

Greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Peter,

well I thought I was doing the right thing by following the PDF.

It appears that this is wrong as the display works when the sequence of segment lines is reversed. So the Dot is on D0 through to g on D7.

Thanks for your help. The display works 100%. :smile:

The next step is the encoder for the BPM function.

Thanks TK for modifying the code, will you incorporate this in the next release?

Tim

Edited by gomiboy99