Error message on mios Studio loading midio128v3 on LPC17

Anyone:

Loading Midio128 ver.3 on my LPC17, the core is recognized and displays all the pertinent data, but after loading the hex file and pressing start, I get an error message, attached. The setup includes only the LPC core, no SD card, no CLCD, jumper J17 in place and jumper J15 positioned for 5V,USB power. I did the early voltage check on the core and got 3.26vdc, close but not exact.

The LED on the core, when powered up, blinks then goes steady.

Question: I tried connecting up my LCD (new) but get nothing. The CLCD is Hacktronics, 20x4, backlit, advertized as for Arduino, on Amazon. Is the pic of J15A on the core schematic looking down at the pins on J15A or looking into the connector. I'm concerned I wired the connector backwards. The cable connection pads on the CLCD are clearly marked, but are of the inline type along the bottom of the pc card and are soldered to the cable. I did not load any LCD drivers, or anything other then the bootloader. When I get midio128 loaded, will the LCD display anything?

Thanks,

Johncpost-3665-0-61621400-1327006653_thumb.jp

Yes you will get something displayed.

Does the backlight come on?

No. I found that the wiring is reversed and am in the process or rewiring. Each pair is reversed.

with power off, I checked continuity through the cable, matching inscriptions on each LCD pin with the inscription on each pin on 15A on the core and each pair is reversed.

since you replied. Any idea why the error message?

johnc

Anyone:

Loading Midio128 ver.3 on my LPC17, the core is recognized and displays all the pertinent data, but after loading the hex file and pressing start, I get an error message, attached. The setup includes only the LPC core, no SD card, no CLCD, jumper J17 in place and jumper J15 positioned for 5V,USB power. I did the early voltage check on the core and got 3.26vdc, close but not exact.

The LED on the core, when powered up, blinks then goes steady.

Question: I tried connecting up my LCD (new) but get nothing. The CLCD is Hacktronics, 20x4, backlit, advertized as for Arduino, on Amazon. Is the pic of J15A on the core schematic looking down at the pins on J15A or looking into the connector. I'm concerned I wired the connector backwards. The cable connection pads on the CLCD are clearly marked, but are of the inline type along the bottom of the pc card and are soldered to the cable. I did not load any LCD drivers, or anything other then the bootloader. When I get midio128 loaded, will the LCD display anything?

Thanks,

Johncpost-3665-0-61621400-1327006653_thumb.jp

Reloaded the bootloader,ver .007, and got new message;

Reading project.hex

project.hex contains 63208 bytes (248 blocks).

Range 0x7c910100-0x7c91f8ff (63488 bytes) - (unknown)

ERROR: Range check failed!

Notice that the start address in the Range: is the same as came up on the first error message.

TK - is this normal?

I corrected the wiring and the LCD nor lights up andis responsive to the controls.

Help please? Somebody!

Johnc

Hi John,

MIOS Studio 2.1 fails to parse the project.hex file and therefore outputs this error message.

Could you please try the upload with MIOS Studio 2.2.2?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Great!

man am I glad to hear from you. will do it in a flash.

I'm really looking to exploring the features of midio128 on the LPC.

I'll report back with the results.

johnc

Great!

man am I glad to hear from you. will do it in a flash.

I'm really looking to exploring the features of midio128 on the LPC.

I'll report back with the results.

johnc

TK,

Loaded mios studio 2.2.2. Tried to load midio128 ver. 3 which started off, but stopped. on the third try, it loaded.

I closed out mios studio, powered the core off then on, but am not getting anything on the LCD. I have not set up the control panel with pushbuttons, rotart switch, etc. is that why i get no display on the LCD? I get the back lite ok, but nothing displayed. I rechecked the wiring from the J15A on the core to the terminal strip on the LCD and the term. names on each end match with continuity verified inbetween terminals. Haven't read anywhere where mios won't talk the LCD without the control surface connected.

Any suggestions on how to verify that midio128 is loaded and get the LCD working?

Thanks

Johnc

I have a printscreen pic. of mios 2.2.2 after the load completed, if you would like to see it.

Hi Johnc,

in order to check which application is running, just press the Query button - it will display the application name + some additional infos.

E.g. in the snapshot of your first posting, the application name was "Bootloader 1.007". Now it should be "MIDIO 128 V3.005"

You can also type "help" in MIOS Terminal so that the application sends a list of available commands.

Could you please try both and confirm that this is working?

LCD: it can't be excluded that the LCD has been damaged while you connected the pins reversed!

Beside of the polarity the only important things are the contrast pot, and that jumper J15_S is connected correctly (it should select the 5V option)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Johnc,

in order to check which application is running, just press the Query button - it will display the application name + some additional infos.

E.g. in the snapshot of your first posting, the application name was "Bootloader 1.007". Now it should be "MIDIO 128 V3.005"

You can also type "help" in MIOS Terminal so that the application sends a list of available commands.

Could you please try both and confirm that this is working?

LCD: it can't be excluded that the LCD has been damaged while you connected the pins reversed!

Beside of the polarity the only important things are the contrast pot, and that jumper J15_S is connected correctly (it should select the 5V option)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

TK,

A damaged LCD had entered my mind. However, it is responsive to both contrast and brightness changes, and the pixel squares are visable on the display when the contrast pot is maxed. It did get hot when connected in reverse. Unfortunately, I don't have a backup. You didn't comment about the lack of the control surface pbs and program selector.

The J15_s jumper is in place.

I will confirm the query response of the current app loaded and get back to you.

Thanks.

johnc

TK,

Midio128 is indeed loaded. See screen dumps below. I printed two so the complete mios terminal contents would showup. I also entered the system command, which produced the last few lines. Note the line that says "the midmon is disabled". does this have any connection to my malfunctioning LCD?

Back to an earlier question - does the lack of the control surface components have any impact on the lack of display on the LCD?

Also, could I have damaged the HC595 also, and i suspect the answer is "Maybe"

I removed the LCD plug from J15A and moved it to J15b with no change in the LCD.

In the way of analysis - Can I assume that the USB/midi in/midi out circuitry

is ok since I got a good load of midio128?

Assuming the possibility of a bad solder joint, is the circuit area involving the J15a, j15B, hc595, core a reasonable area to check for bad connections?

Regarding the LCD contrast and luminance, with the contrast turned up, the 2 rows of 20 character squares appear. is this evidence of anything good regarding the HC595 and LCD?

Sorry for all the questions.

Johnc

post-3665-0-63324300-1327272678_thumb.jp

post-3665-0-71472100-1327272692_thumb.jp

Midio128 is indeed loaded. See screen dumps below. I printed two so the complete mios terminal contents would showup. I also entered the system command, which produced the last few lines.

Fine! :)

Note the line that says "the midmon is disabled". does this have any connection to my malfunctioning LCD?

No, this MIDI monitor function doesn't get use of the LCD, it optionally prints incoming MIDI events into the MIOS terminal for debugging purposes.

Back to an earlier question - does the lack of the control surface components have any impact on the lack of display on the LCD?

no

Also, could I have damaged the HC595 also, and i suspect the answer is "Maybe"

it's unlikely that the 74HC595 has been damaged if the LCD has been connected incorrectly.

I removed the LCD plug from J15A and moved it to J15b with no change in the LCD.

J15B is intended for a second LCD (e.g. as used by the MIDIbox SEQ application).

MIDIO128 doesn't initialize the second LCD, therefore it won't work.

In the way of analysis - Can I assume that the USB/midi in/midi out circuitry

is ok since I got a good load of midio128?

yes!

Assuming the possibility of a bad solder joint, is the circuit area involving the J15a, j15B, hc595, core a reasonable area to check for bad connections?

Yes, but from my experience it's more likely that the LCD won't work anymore, therefore I recommended to replace it.

Regarding the LCD contrast and luminance, with the contrast turned up, the 2 rows of 20 character squares appear. is this evidence of anything good regarding the HC595 and LCD?

No, the pots control analog voltages, and it's normal that some squares appear after power-on, before the LCD has been initialized.

My assumption is, that "something" has been fried in the digital logic, therefore just order a new one - it will save you a lot of unnecessary debugging time.

Note that you could already configure the MIDIO128 application by editing the configuration file which is stored on SD Card.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Fine! :)

No, this MIDI monitor function doesn't get use of the LCD, it optionally prints incoming MIDI events into the MIOS terminal for debugging purposes.

no

it's unlikely that the 74HC595 has been damaged if the LCD has been connected incorrectly.

J15B is intended for a second LCD (e.g. as used by the MIDIbox SEQ application).

MIDIO128 doesn't initialize the second LCD, therefore it won't work.

yes!

Yes, but from my experience it's more likely that the LCD won't work anymore, therefore I recommended to replace it.

No, the pots control analog voltages, and it's normal that some squares appear after power-on, before the LCD has been initialized.

My assumption is, that "something" has been fried in the digital logic, therefore just order a new one - it will save you a lot of unnecessary debugging time.

Note that you could already configure the MIDIO128 application by editing the configuration file which is stored on SD Card.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

TK,

your response was too fast. I retouched all the solder connections on the J-15 sockets, and on the LPC module where the enable signals go to j-15, also all of the socket for the HC595, and low and behold, the LCD came to life with the main menu for midio128. Wow, what a relief! Bad solder joints can be the pits! The tiny solder pads are difficult for us old guys with poor eyesite. Thank God for magnifying glasses.

I have all the components for the control surface, and will configure them on a small panel to fit on the console for easy access. I have an SD card on order and will add that to the mix also.

Again, Thanks for the help now, and for all those times in the past that I have asked for it, and you have soo patiently responded.

All the best!

Johnc