MB-SEQ with Jomox XBase 09 : changing sound parameters?

tupinamba

Hi there !

I'm the new owner of a Jomox XBase 09 and it's pretty fun... But I'd like to program the parameters such as Tune, Pitch, Decay... that can be changed on the Jomox through controllers... But I'm not that familiar with the process.

If anyone has any experience with such a setup, that would be great!

Here is the Midi Implementation chart of the Jomox:

Jomox-midi-implementation.jpg

Hi,

you need to send MIDI CCs, best by using the special CC track type in the MBSEQ - it allows e.g. automated filter sweeps, you can even record the CCs sent by your XBase and play them back... I´d suggest to to record the CCs at first, so that you see which values are sent/are of interest to you.

The other way to do it, would be to use a MIDI Mixer map, which allows one-shot CCs to be sent (see handbook, i have not done it yet myself :-))

Greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Hey,

I tried to record a CC track with the Jomox sending midi signal to the MIDIBOX SEQ and the SEQ reacts... but doesn't record anything. Values for each step stay the same. It seems that turning the pitch knob for Snare drum (for instance) just changes the step on which the SEQ is... So what is the procedure?

Thanks if you have any clue!

Edited by tupinamba

Ok, just tried it on the little phatty... (which is not an xbase, but i am quite sure that the xbase also sends midi ccs, when you turn a knob)

---

Set up the track:

Choose the track you want to record MIDI CCs on

Go to MENU->Event

Set Track type to CC (e.g. 128 steps and 8 parameter layers - you can then record up 8 different automations on that track)

Don´t forget to initialize track!

Important! Before initialization, choose the right parameter layers on the right screen.

E.g. parameter layer A is by default "MOD Wheel" - you need to find the right CC type, which you want to control.

The "Controller Number" in your datasheet above corresponds to the CC number.

----

Record:

Go to record page, Set correct MIDI IN port and MIDI channel

Set Record mode "live", Astart "off" (for me)

Press play and record buttons to arm the bomb :)

Now, when the MIDI device sends any CCs, its values are stored on the currently active parameter layer of the currently recorded step.

Try turning any knob, you should see live values recorded on the track edit screen.

---

Playback:

You will need another track to actually gate the synthesizer, e.g. play a bassline or trigger your drums.

Or be lazy as me and just hold the "gate" pedal of the synth, which just plays the last keyboard note. Nice automation going :)

By the way, the CC steps need to be lit (gated on the "GATE trigger layer") for CC playback to occur.

Greets,

Peter

Edit: just reached post #1.000 :frantics: which is probably a sign of severe MIDIbox addiction :)

Edited by Hawkeye

Happy 1000 posts Peter!

... And here is an opportunity to write your 1001st post :ahappy:

I have a problem selecting the right parameter layer. By choosing CC 128 steps 8 layers I should be able to attribute a CC number to every layer, from A to H.

But if I choose another value for A instead of 001 (for instance 113, which should control the Jomox Hi-Hat Tune), there is a "!" right after the value and when I initialize the track, it goes back to 001!

I must have missed something...

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Gaël

EDIT :

Silly me... You have to confirm by pressing the GP button (it's written on the left LCD when you first change the value) and then the "!" disappears. Then you save the track and you're good to go.

This feature is f***ing powerful!!!

Edited by tupinamba

I tried this today and it works great. I can also confirm that if you can have a layer set to note, velo, whatever else you want and still record cc's to the same track just as if it was a dedicated cc track.

Was also thinking it would be really cool if there was a midi learn function for this so you didn't have to explicitly set the cc manually. This isn't possible is it?

Was also thinking it would be really cool if there was a midi learn function for this so you didn't have to explicitly set the cc manually. This isn't possible is it?

MIDI CC Learn is an exclusive feature of MBSEQV4L, I haven't enabled it for MBSEQ V4 since I don't know where to hide the "enable" button for this function. ;-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.