Filters broken?

Taika-Kim

I'm using two dumpstered (one from an abandoned house, the other from a scrapyard) 6581s.

I have an used sammichSID 2.0 RC3 I did not build myself.

It seems both have broken filters, since cutoff seems to be at max on all channels when playing SIDs with asid. No filter action at all, all songs sound really weird. I know enough of them by heart to hear this :D

I have also an encoder problem so haven't programmed yet so much, but if I activate filters on some oscillators, the cutoff seems to be somewhere quite low permanently. This is weird, since it's the opposite of what I hear with SID songs.

Resonance does change the sound noticeably though. So is this some problem with the caps, or can filters with broken cutoff action still have working resonance? This would sound a bit strange to me since they're just two aspects of the same response...

Here's a pic of one of my caps... Also, does the K in the 470K value mean 10% tolerance, like I read somewhere? I specifically explained that the caps will be part of a lowpass filter in a synth, and I need low tolenrance components... That shop has like the weirdest salesperson of them all, half of the time I'm not sure if he understands me at all :P Anyway, they should be 470pF, as 6581 should have?

capsi.jpg:thumb_178372.jpg

Oh, and I think both chips create a very audible constant note all the time too, is this just a quirk of the MIDIbox/SID-chip interaction, or does this also indicate faulty chips?

Edited by Taika-Kim

Yeah the filters are not working in ASID... But it's strange that the resonance still affects the sound a lot, so the filters must be active somehow?

Anyway, the previous owner was so kind as to promise to send me his old 6582s for free, so I hope I'll be soon rocking :)

And, oh, I could use a PCR-300 template for the device, I think spread over several programs most of the functions could be fit there... Or is there a place in some WIKI or something for people to exchange control mappings? Since I hate, hate setting them up :P

And, also, Waldorf style mod matrix!! I had microQ some years ago, it's still to this day my favourite digital synth to program...

Edited by Taika-Kim